evolution

do you believe in evolution...if you do...do you believe certain races evolved before others..meaning that some races are higher up on the scale and more evolved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• uh no
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Are you in the right category?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• medically speaking, it is proven different races react differently to certain diseases...etc.
    so their is a scientific difference.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, I believe in evolution, but I do not think we can use it to rank species as 'more or less evolved.' Realistically, the role of evolution is not to create a 'perfect organism' (thus newer organisms are 'closer to perfection.') The purpose of evolution is to help you to fit as best as possible into your environment. Hence we have animals like sharks which have not changed substantially in millions of years. Why haven't we seen further dramatic shark evolution? Because they don't need to- they are the top of the food chain. Does that mean a shark (whose very similar ancestors lived alongside dinosaurs) is 'better' than a human being? Of course not- because that is comparing apples and oranges. They are both evolved to fit into radically different environmental niches.
    Science actually does not bear out the idea that the races differ significantly. There is more genetic variation within races than across races.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:23 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Con't. This means that if you look at DNA, you will find more differences between people in the same racial grouping than you will see if you look at the general differences between two groups. Yes, some racial groups are more prone to certain illnesses and some groups respond differently to some medications (though there are also such significant differences between people in the same racial group.) But that does not speak to one group or another being more 'highly evolved.' Evolution is not a hierarchy with a pinnacle that can be reached, and social Darwinism (applying Darwinian 'survival of the fittest' analogies to human beings) is largely void by virtue of the fact that we shape our own environment and have cultural conventions that far exceed any other animal.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I "believe" in evolution as much as I "believe" in gravity.....meaning no matter how much someone "doesn't believe" in evolution, it's going to just keep happening.

Yes, I believe certain races came before others on the time scale....that's how evolution works. There couldn't be different ones evolving at the same time, otherwise we'd be different species instead of different races. I don't consider the later race (whichever it may be) to be "more evolved" though....as in superior. The differences happened because of different environmental conditions they had to adapt to as they spread to other continents. Being able to survive in different climates does not make one superior or one inferior. It only makes them different.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes I think they did.  Millions of years ago when humans were first evolving our planet had a very different climate than it has now and there was just one continent.  Humanity would have begun in the equatorial region which means that the dark skin colours were the first.  As early humans were nomadic they began to spread further afield.  At the same time the continents were slowly shifting bringing different tribes further apart, and as the climate started shifting they were being exposed to colder climates.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• beeky, the continents were not still connected when humans evolved. They were slightly different, but they were separated.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:42 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• MCG nailed it. Regardless of your *belief* it is real, just like gravity and other such *theories*. I think more people need to understand that in science *theory* doesn't have quite the same meaning as in every day conversation.
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yes I believe in it.. and I think that anyone that doesn't believe in evolution is a fool. Sorry, that's just my opinion. Although it's a "theory" .. there is far more evidence of evolution, than there is of "Adam and Eve".. lmao. .the only evidence I've ever seen of "Adam and Eve" is a story in a book called the Bible. lmao.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009