evolution

do you believe in evolution...if you do...do you believe certain races evolved before others..meaning that some races are higher up on the scale and more evolved?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Yes. And...eh. Don't really know, don't really care.

We're all a part of the genus homo sapiens. We were faster, stronger, and smarter than the other species most closely related to us (NO, NOT APES, ZOMG). Neanderthals and homo erectus and the other most human-like genuses didn't have the brain capacity to survive above us. We were basically the best evolution could do at that point.

But we're still evolving even to this day. People are on average getting taller, more people are being born without wisdom teeth, we don't need our appendix or tonsils to survive, our pinkie toes are becoming smaller as time goes on. It's all very fascinating.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i love the science channels etc. and they found a fossil which is a proven link and the first monkey...now monkeys seperate into two different evolution tarcks..one is lemurs..the other is apes/chimpanzee's/humans. and this one is the top of thsoe 2....so like the first one, kinda cool....

then their is the fossil of lucy which was pretty much half monkey half human in lamens terms...cool stuff.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• As for different races evolving before others, no, that's just silly. We're all the same race, the HUMAN race. Like I said, homo sapiens. There are no other homo- classifications running around today because we caused them to become extinct.

I could be wrong, but I think scientists generally agree that the first homo sapiens sprung up somewhere in Africa. It would have taken thousands of years, but eventually nomadic groups migrated to the other parts of the world and became acclimated to them. They adapted to their environments, which changed their skin colors accordingly. It's the same thing you see in no time today, when you spend a LOT of time in the sun, you get a tan. If you stay inside all the time, you get pale.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:26 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• *looks at her skin* damnit im pale and i used to be tan lol
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Caitxrawks, I saw something recently that pointed to a major factor in the evolution of skin color being the human inability to produce their own vitamin D. Because we do not produce vitamin D, we need to get it from the sun... since there is lots of sun close to the equator, we were able to have skin with lots of melanin (ie. darker skin) and still get lots of vitamin D from sun exposure. However, when humans migrated north, there was less direct sun and hence less opportunity for vitamin D acquisition, therefore melanin decreased to make it easier for the body to produce vitamin D from more limited sun exposure. Really there is no 'benefit' to lighter skin colours (more sunburn, higher skin cancer rates) except for the ability to take in more UV rays and hence get more vitamin D from the sun. Interesting! Your post just made me think of it!
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 10:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• LOL I burrrrrn, baby, burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn! My fiance is from Costa Rica and he couldn't get burned if he wanted to. Makes me SICK xD
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:33 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• caitxrawks......I'm sorry, but you're kind of contradicting yourself. You said certain races did not evolve before others....then you go on to say that humans evolved in Africa and then spread to other continents. That is how the other races evolved. Africans were probably first. When they spread to other continents, they changed into the different races in order to survive in the different environments. European ones developed white skin so that they could absorb as much sun as possible in winter when it's darker. So if that is the case, then white people DID come after blacks. That, however, is not racist, it's science. It annoys the sh$t out of me when people call science racist.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:34 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thank you Freela, that's what I was trying to say, lmao. I've watched a lot of stuff on evolution, and I've thought about taking a few classes on anthropology. It's all very interesting to me.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:35 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• : /

I'm sorry...

I mean, I never claimed to be an expert or anything. I just typed out what I thought. Yeesh.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:36 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• There ARE 3 different main races that science has found, Mongoloid, Caucasoid and Africanus. The whole "we are only one race, the human race" is just something made up to get people to see us as equals.....which we should be treated as....but we ARE different.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 10:40 AM on Jun. 1, 2009