when you get mirena...

do they put it in before, on or after ur period?

anything else i should know before i get it done?

masonsmommy921

Asked by masonsmommy921 at 10:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• It doesn't really matter. I've heard it's easier to insert and to remove during your period because your cervix is softer then. But they can do it any time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:18 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was actually on my period when I had it done. It's funny, I asked this exact same question!

Maybe take a tylenol or ibuprofen before you go. It's uncomfortable having it put in, but if you can handle childbirth, you can obviously handle having this thing put in LOL. The tylenol is for mild cramping you might have for a few hours afterwards. Oh, and bring a pad just in case the doctor doesn't give you one. And I don't know if your doctor told you, but you can't have unprotected sex for the first 30 days after insertion. After that, you can do whatever with no problem.

I've had mine since March and I haven't had any issues with it. Don't let the horror story people scare you. Not everyone has issues with it.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:19 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my child is a mirena baby lol
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 10:27 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It doesn't matter. I wasn't on my period, but I had it put in when my son was about 5 weeks old so I was still bleeding from having him.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:10 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oh && they tell you to take some tylenol or aspirin right before you come in, b/c you might cramp for a day or 2 after.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• take tylenol!!!!!

i wasnt on my period but i still hadnt stopped bleeding from having the baby,

i didnt know you werent supposed to have un portected sex for 30 days!!! yikes thats not good.. i had mine in in octiber!
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 11:13 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It doesn't say anything in the brochure about it >:( But my OB told me over and over, "DO NOT HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX FOR 30 DAAAAAAAAYS!" hahaha.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ya i was on it for 6 months then suprise baby! lol
    preggoinmn

Answer by preggoinmn at 12:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009