What can you do to help a child that's being bullied?

He saying that he wants to run away and that he hates everyone. He's even starting to hit family members. What can be done to help him. He's not into sports, music or drawing so there's nothing to channel this anger into a positive. Please help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Where is he being bullied? If it is at school, change schools. I knew a girl in elementary school who everyone picked on I was her only friend. She changed to a different school and made friends really easily.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 10:38 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't know about changing schools ( if that is where it is happening) but talk with teacher or school counceler to change classes from the bully. If it a neighborhood kid, try to play at a local park or somewhere diffrent to meet new kiddos and plan playdates. I have even used meetup.com to join local play groups for my son to make new friends. The summer is great for a sports camp that is only a few days or even a trial class at a karate class, ect. You may find something he is into. Maybe even boyscouts. GL
    Skyler11978

Answer by Skyler11978 at 11:31 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Don't rely on the school for help that's for sure...I was bullied my entire public school career, private school to for that matter. Have a very open line of communication with him. Let him be mad about it but control how and where (ie yell and scream about it all he wants and you sit and listen no physical stuff) I agree try to find something he can really get into. My son is doing karate and it has done wonders for his confidence. That doesn't mean your child will like it though. Just Talk Talk Talk. Let him know that you hear him but never say that you understand if you don't. Don't tell him to ignore it and it will go away because it won't. Tell him to speak up for himself but that fighting is unacceptable. Make sure he knows who in his school he can go to for real help when the escalate. Let the school know that you want him to be allowed to call you, dad or uncle Joe when he gets upset. He needs to know ...
    Anonymous

• you have his back. Help him to increase his social skills by encouraging him to interact with other kids he doesn't know like at the playground or library. You can' make it stop no matter what you do but you can help him to handle it while it last. I can honestly say that I did not finish in a school setting like that. I ended up doing a mail in home school program for my last 3 years od school. Best thing I ever did for myself. I am still a functioning adult who is married with kids and a stable job. I made it through and so can he!
    Anonymous

• If you're unable to put a stop to the bullying, seperate him from the bully by any means necessary.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 6:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My kids have went through this crap... and I came down on the school several times. I've told my kids that if someone hits them, hit back. I told them if someone starts a fight, finish it! I've also told them not to bully, call names, or anything... but to not take shit from anyone.

They don't fight, amazingly. I still have had to come down on the principal and be a real hose beast. You can't go in there all nice and pretty. Go in and let them know you're PISSED.
    Gremlyn

Answer by Gremlyn at 6:34 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Do everything you can.

I'm not trying to scare you, but I had a really good friend in middle school who was bullied so badly he killed himself.

He needs protection, if this means the extreme of switching schools so be it. That being said, some kids are being bullied because they are somehow socially awkward (I'm not saying that makes it right) and the problem will follow them from place to place. Find out if you can help him get cloths that are in style and find make sure his social skills are up to par. Your absolutely right that he needs a positive activity and a place to fit in.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 2:15 AM on Jun. 4, 2009