Any one know a lot about plumbism?

I was lead poisoned as a growing child with high levels and have learned that lead accumulates in your bones. Will that have an effect on my unborn child (9 weeks along right now) in that your body takes calcium from your bones for the growing fetus? Will it get enough lead to cause neurological problems in the future for my children?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My doctor told me that the baby will only take from my bones if I am not getting enough calcium, I'm sorry that's all the information I have for you though. Just try not to worry and get plenty of dairy and dark leafy greens!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 5:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'm not sure how much you have to actually intake (or have present in your body) to cause a nueral tube defect but I do know that Folic Acid helps to combat this. However, the development of the nueral tube & all major organs happens in the first 3-8 weeks of pregnancy so it is likely that if any damage was caused that it's already happen.

You can talk to your doctor about "12 week Genetic Testing" which simply involves an ultra sound and blood work. They can measure the fluid filled sac at the back of your baby's head to determine the likelihood of a nueral tube defect. This will at the very least, help you to be prepared for the possibilty of a child with a nueral tube defect.

In the mean time eat a diet rich in Folic Acid & try not to stress out. I know that's easier said than done but the first trimester is the MOST important time for development and stress can affect development as well.

GL.Talk to your doctor
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Jun. 1, 2009