Where did my child learn this stuff?!

We were walking through a flea market the other day and there were toys...my kid goes up to a plastic blue whale and says "I like blue whales"....it shocked us. We bought him the toy because we were so surprised he knew what kind of whale it was. Now, I know the common sense thing is to think that because the whale is blue he called it a blue whale...but he is having trouble learning his colors so I really don't think that's it.
And here is another one. I give him toast with strawberry jelly every morning, but lately he's been calling it strawberry jam. No one in my house says Jam...he doesn't go to daycare....where is he learning all of this? Maybe he's just picking it up from some of the tv shows he watches while I'm doing homework or something?

ajguinn

Asked by ajguinn at 10:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Trust me, kids pick up the most random stuff. My son was about 18 months old when he used the phrase "Tell me honestly". I nearly fell over...I was like, no, you tell me how you know that, then I will tell you. He said he learned it from Toy Story. When Buzz asks Woody, "Does this hat look good on me, tell me honestly?" I was like OMG, he does say that.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:00 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My two year old does that too. i think she learns from the educational channal, noggin, on tv. I also read to her a lot so it could be either.
    MommyLeary

Answer by MommyLeary at 11:01 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I read to him a lot but I can not for the life of me think of where he would have learned about blue whales!!
    ajguinn

Answer by ajguinn at 11:04 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• When my youngest DD was about 20 months old, DS did something that she didn't like & she told him, "That's not appropriate!" Talk about my words coming out of her mouth!!
    funnyface1204

Answer by funnyface1204 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• that just shows that kids really are like sponges. they remeber EVERYTHING but they just do it or say it when they feel like it.
    chukuku

Answer by chukuku at 11:12 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• TV. Especially if he watches things like Curious George.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 1, 2009