Binky vs. The Tumb

My DS is 6 months on Wednesday and has started sucking his thumb in the last month. He was never a fan of the Binky, but my friends say I should discourage the thumb since I can always take the Binky away. But the thumb it is always available to him if I'm not quick on the Binky replacement. I'm trying to decide if I should work harder to encourage the Binky or just let him suck his thumb. What is your oppinion Binky or Thumb?

Dorris1203

Asked by Dorris1203 at 11:09 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Binky is always better than the thumb. The hands get dirty. Just hand him the binky when he needs comfort. (It does not hurt to try)
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• For sure the binky. You can always get rid of the binky, the thumb might be a little harder to get rid of. :)
    muddaof3

Answer by muddaof3 at 11:16 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Binky for sure! I know too many kids that are 5 or older who still suck their thumbs! I have never known a 5 year old with a paci.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 11:22 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If he chooses his finger.. I think that is what he want.. A friends kid had a binky until they took it away & they just switched to their thumb.. If the kid wants oral comfort-they will find it...
    for those that think about germs... its not the worste thing in the world... did you know eating your boogers are GOOD for your immune system!?! lol......
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 11:30 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My friends dd is 5 and still sucks her thumb. Another friend is 25 years old and will suck her thumb if she is really stressed out. The pacifier and be thrown out or lost or given a new home. You can't cut your kids thumb off.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 11:49 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If your lil one wants to suck their thumb I say let them. Yea the binki can be gotten rid of sooner but eventually MOST babies stop sucking their thumbs when they start school and see other children not. Its up to you if you want to work on getting your lil one to use a binki. Good luck :)
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 11:53 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Personally I think it's best to get rid of the binkie by around 6 months. The thumb will be there in the night, he can't throw it out of his crib, etc... a thumb is better for self-soothing. My daughter's fingers went in her mouth when we took away the binkie (5 months), but she stopped sucking them on her own around 12 months.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 1:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I say thumb is better. It makes self soothing easier.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 2:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009