How can a protect my 3 year old escape artist?

I have a three year old, who likes to escape from everything. I don't know how to prevent these things. I just installed new locks on all the doors, getting an alarm in case the lock isn't latched, but I am still scared. The other morning I woke up to a stranger yelling hello in my house, finding out that my three year old somehow open the door and walked down the street. I was sickened by all the what if's. To this very second, she was his guardian angel.

I need help.

muddaof3

Asked by muddaof3 at 11:14 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• you need to install deadlocks at the top of the doors where he cannot reach even if he steps on something. Get the deadbolts that you have to have a key to unlock and you know where the key is in case of emergencies.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:17 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my bf has a 3 year old who recently tried escaping as well. we have one of those latches, like on the hotel doors, way at the top of the door where she can't reach it. It's nice because it's loud enough for us to hear if she is trying to open the door, it sounds like slamming because she doesnt realize what is really going on. We have a little boy that lives downstairs that is really good at escaping, same age, and here are a couple more ideas...
    we have a metal gate that just has a latch to open it, his mom stuck one of those clips that mountain climbers use through a hole in the latch.. none of the kids can get it off. its kind of brilliant. we also have one of those plastic things that goes over the door handle so you have to squeeze and turn to open the garage door from the backyard.. i can barely get it open. lol.
    good luck!
    itsbree2you

Answer by itsbree2you at 11:45 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• First Alert makes self sticking magnetic alarms...its a 2 part plastic thing thet you put on your door...it has a chime mode and alarm mode as well as off....when the door is opened the magnets seperate and the alarm goes of until the door is closed or it is turned off...we used these for a couple months before our "houdini" figured them out.
    KaylasMiracle

Answer by KaylasMiracle at 11:56 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my brother went through this. put a lock at the very top of your doors so he can't get out.
    Also talk to him on stranger danger. let him know it's not safe to be outside without an adult.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:52 PM on Jun. 3, 2009