How would you handle this?

I'm in the middle of a divorce. My in-laws, who my son has seen maybe once a month the last 9 months, and far and few between prior...want to bring my 3yr old to a theme park. He'll be away from me for two full days. We have never been separated more than a few hours since his birth. Will he be ok without me for two days? Is this going to be traumatic for him? Should I tell them no? I should add that these are not horrible people.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:15 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would ask myself these questions.....Does he have any medical conditions that need moms supervision? Is he comfortable around them? Do you feel they would be good supervision for him? meaning is he a runner that could easily get away from them? Would he sleep okay without you? Personally, I think theme parks are super fun and I think he would enjoy it. He might be a little young for some of the rides, but if its just them and him and you feel they are adequate supervision, then dont worry if theve spent time with him in the past. They are asking now and thats what matters. You could try this and if something happens where he is asking for you, then agree to be on call to get him. But I think it would be good to at least try. My three yr old is WAY too immature for going to a theme park but he does spend time with gma and gpa....My in laws are wonderful people who take excellent care of my kids. Good question mom.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 11:25 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• my inlaws see my dd, who is almost 3, just about every wknd & i wouldn't let her go with them for 2 days... but my dd is very clingy to me too
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 11:48 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If I was in the middle of a divorce (if the divorce is ugly or even kindof ugly) I would not allow it.
    How do you know that they are not planning on taking your child.
    I am not trying to scare you or anything...I did not trust my X while our divorce was in the process.
    If that is not the case. I would allow him to go ONLY if I was confortable with it.
    If you can trust them, then yes. If you are doubting anything, then listen to your instincts.
    Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 12:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• 3 is way too young to go to a theme park. It would be best for your son to get used to them a bit slowly, like a trip to a park and their house for lunch once a week.

Answer by rkoloms at 3:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would say no if it were my son. He will probably get homesick sense he hasn't ever been away from you. Perhaps they could modify the plans to just a day out together rather than a couple of days.

dreyamom

Answer by dreyamom at 6:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• 3 isn't necessarily too young for a theme park if the child likes rides...I took my son when he was 2 and he could ride all the kiddie rides and had a blast...he road this car ride like 60 times and talked about it for months afterwards...and if these are nice people you trust to ensure the supervision of your son then let him go...he has to have independence from mom sometime 2 days isn't going to tramatize him...and like momofsaee said if he's having that much trouble just be on call to go get him.
    ba13ygrl1987

Answer by ba13ygrl1987 at 9:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• do you trust them? I would get something in writing stating phone numbers where they can be reached,addresses of where they are going to be, how long they will have him, and when he will be home. allow them to take him, but stay in contact.
    if you don't trust them ask them to take him for a couple shorters trips before taking him a couple of days, so you can see how they do on bringing him back on time.
    plus you can get him used to being away from you.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:48 PM on Jun. 3, 2009