Should a six year old have a bb gun?

Maybe I'm just a party pooper, but when I heard that a six yr old was getting a bb gun I was dumbfounded! This six yr old hates school, is getting picked on and has NO friends other than cousins. To me it was a small step of what is going to happen in his future. Believe me I hated saying that. I think owning things like a bb gun makes you less sentive to hand guns and such. He said he wanted to kill birds. Is this boy will be boys such or do I have a reason to be worried?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• OMG, when I first seen your question I thought you meant bubble gum lol...
    No a 6 year old shouldnt get a BB gun
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 11:58 AM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Heck no a 6 year old should not have a bb gun!!!! Let me catch him killing birds and I will be on the phone with the game warden's office!!
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• HE WILL SHOOT HIS EYE OUT!!!!! LOL
    ameliasmama1

Answer by ameliasmama1 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I wouldn't have a problem with someone teaching him to shoot. It can be a large confidence booster for a kid and when done right, teaches good safety skills. I wouldn't even have a problem with his owning a BB gun.

BUT - I wouldn't allow him to have it any time he wanted and I wouldn't allow him to shoot animals with it. Even ignoring the cruelty of injuring animals that way, how many windows will he break that his parents will have to pay for? If he is irresponsible enough to shoot like that then what else (or who else) will he shoot?

kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• should i give my 3 year old scissors?

NOOO
    Anonymous

• 3 y/o's can use scissors the same as a 6 y/o can use a bb gun. My son had one. He was only allowed to shoot targets and only when I was present and watching like a hawk. He wasn't allowed to just tote it however whenever. But, I also grew up with loades guns on gun racks in my house. I was never at any time compelled to shoot them without a parent, because I had been allowed to shoot at targets with a 22 starting at age 2. Therefore, I understood the ramifications of a gun shot. I saw what it did to paper. And I was taught how to use it and when and that unless I had them with me, I better not even look it's direction. Using it also took the mystique out of it and settled any curiosity. Same with drinking and smoking. I was allowed one sip when I was a kid and one puff. It held no power at that point. I don't drink or smoke or shoot guns now. Bored with them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• depends on the the kid. my son got a bb gun at 6. but he has always been a good kid adn taught gun safety since he was 2. he fired his first weapon at 2 years old.
    now my daughter is 6 and i would not give her a bb gun or a soft air gun.............she is just to unpredictable and flighty to be trusted with something of that magnatude
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 1:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My son used sissors at three and at 7 is a great shot with his BB gun. He got it for his 5th birthday. Depends on the kid. My son is gifted and very mature for his age. He loves target shooting and we have taught him BB gun safety. Not all kids should have them depends on the kid and the parents.
    Anonymous

• What anon 02 said
    lstrickland

Answer by lstrickland at 10:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009