Are you obligated to tell your boss you are pregnant or can I just tell them when I need FMLA?

I am almost 16 weeks pregnant and I told my supervisor I am expecting around 8 weeks however she and a few close friends keep asking me when I am going to tell the big boss. This isn't my first child, it is my second. However, this is causing me stress because I don't think I am obligated to telling him unless it is for maternity leave and I already told my supervisor. I know all about FMLA and pregnancy discrimination, so that isn't the problem. It is also causing me stress because it hasn't been a full year since i returned from maternity leave; my first son is almost 1.

tristansmom08

Asked by tristansmom08 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You told your supervisor and it is their job to tell the big boss. Don't sweat it. Just make sure you keep the supervisor up to date on things. I am a spuervisor myself and do not work direct for the big boss so when an employee tells me I have to tell my boss who then tells the big boss.
    Anonymous

• What is FMLA?
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 12:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Tell them when/if it is going to change what you can/cant do at work. Like I had to tell mine almost right away because I lift heavy things at work or if you get a lot of sickness. Other than that I think you can wait as long as you want.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 12:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• While you are not obligated it's definately appropriate and responsible to tell him. Your an employee and he expects you to be at work so when it gets thrown on him at the last minute that you will need to take FMLA and will be out for 12 weeks it can be extremely frustrating to him.

He can't fire you over it but it certainly would be best for him to hear of your pregnancy from you and not through the grape vien.

I realize your nervous but this really is something YOU NEED to do.
    Anonymous

• There may be something in your employee handbook regarding how much notice you are required to give. It is best to tell your boss when you can no longer hide your pregnancy; be sure to have your plan in place for transitioning your responsibilities and try to anticipate any questions or concerns.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am in the same situation as you:( I do NOT want to tell my boss that I am pregnant again! HOWEVER... if you choose to use FMLA (which to my knowledge, you can) then something goes wrong and you NEED to use FMLA then you cant. Like lets say your child gets sick or something after you have used your 12 weeks, your employer will NOT need to save your job because you would no long fall under the protected part of FMLA. And you cant go back after the fact and use the pregnancy leave act. Does that make sense?
    Jaydin_Makenna

Answer by Jaydin_Makenna at 2:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree that if you told your boss, its their job to tell their boss, not yours.

I got screwed as soon as my job fuond out I was pregnant. They took 2 of my 3 days away from me even though I told them it in no way affects my job. I dont even get maternity leave. I have to come back a few days after :( So I hear you on not wanting to tell the even higher ups.
    lasombrs

Answer by lasombrs at 3:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thank you so much to everyone who got back to me. Everyone was very helpful. I think I need to get a few things in order before I tell him. Like create a plan of what will happen with this transition. I work in the IT field so my job is very demanding and needy. I guess I am just nervous because there hasn't been much time between this pregnancy and the other one.
    tristansmom08

Answer by tristansmom08 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009