What do you do for sniffles (bad) for a 3 mo old with no fever?

HayleyGM

Asked by HayleyGM at 12:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i think about the only thing they allowed me to do was the little noses saline drops and the suction bulb thing. It is just salt water and safe for them. Just squirt it in there wait a minute then suction it out. Soemthimes they say you can use a humidifier but i can't remeber if it is a cool mist one or what. I never got one so iam not sure on that.
    Anonymous

• Little Noses saline drops and suction bulb, like Anon said. I put a few drops in each nostril while she was laying down, then about 5 minutes later (after the saline broke it up a bit) I would suck out all the snot and boogers.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 1:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can also put a pillow UNDER her mattress to elevate her head at night and run a humidifier.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, the pillow thing helped me out a lot when mine was sick at that little. (make sure it is under the mattress) Also, I would sit in the bathroom with her with the shower going hot hot so the room gets all steamed. I have a humidifier for my daughter because of her eczema. She seems to sleep better in her room with it going when she is congested. I don't know if that is why. It's a cool mist one because I was worried about one that was hot after she was walking and possibly able to get to it.
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 1:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can get saline drops (Little Noses is the most common brand) from the drugstore. Put one to two drops in each nostril and then use the bulb syringe (snot sucker) on each side to suck out the fluid. The saline loosens the mucus enough so that you can actually get more of it out with less discomfort. That's the instant remedy. For more long term issues, you may want to consider getting a humidifier if your ped thinks it's allergy related.
    l_to_the_e

Answer by l_to_the_e at 2:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Take her in the bathroom, close the door and steam up the room by running a hot shower. Use (I don't remember what they are called) the rubber ball-thing to get the mucus out of her nose.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Lol, the blue thing is called a plunger I think.
    Anonymous

• LOL "plunger"! ;) It's called an aspirator. But I call it a plunger too! :) lol
    DirtyMonkey

Answer by DirtyMonkey at 5:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009