What are the symptoms of being allergic to milk or to lactose intolerant?

The reason why I am asking is that my toddler who is almost 15 mos old. And, I started giving him whole milk as the nurse told me to do, so I started doing that just about 3 weeks ago. And, I noticed that almost every time I give him the milk he don't digest it but he throws up. So, I was wondering if he is allergic to milk or just because he is or could be lactose intolerant.

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 12:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/lactose-intolerance-symptoms
    Deidra08

Answer by Deidra08 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Stomach ache and diarrhea also are signs that it could be the milk.
    jenniferlee_12

Answer by jenniferlee_12 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Try Lactade :)
    ryanlynn

Answer by ryanlynn at 12:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• MY SON WOULD GET EZCEMA AND YOU COULD HEAR HIS TUMMY GURGLE AND HE WAS CRABBY AND WOULDN'T SLEEP -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 12:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• A milk allergy would have shown up using milk formula or breastfeeding if you had any dairy protein at all in your diet, which is very likely. Lactose intolerance can cause the vomiting it also causes gas and diarrhea. I would try soy milk or lactaid which is what my daughter drinks.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If he is having trouble digesting it, i would stop giving him dairy. He doesn't NEED it. A good majority of people are lactose sensitive or intolerant, but ignore the symptoms.
    Try goats milk, it's closer to human breast milk, if you really want to give him milk.
    nwdeserangel

Answer by nwdeserangel at 1:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• gas, diarrhea
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 1:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Get enriched ricemilk, soymilk, hempmilk, etc. Cow milk is for baby cows.
    Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 2:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009