For those of you concerned about the swine flu, have you read this from the CDC?

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/15/3/pdfs/365.pdf

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I have not, and after opening the link, I will not. 7 full pages of what? Sorry, I don't have that kind of time, if you would like to give us the cliff notes version, I'd be happy to read.
    Anonymous

• It is the CDC's version of what is going to happen with the bird flu epidemic. It is a worry that the bird flu and the swine flu will mix as the swine flu origionally came from birds. I am not going to paraphrase it. If you are not concerned enough to be informed it isn't for you.
    Anonymous

• My daughter just got over it . It lasted about 3.5 days. It is not any worse than any other nasty virus. Feel free to contact me direclty with questions. The media was bored and made much about nothing.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree with rkoloms. My family had it and it was just a case of the flu. No worse than other cases I've had and better then some.

The media truly was just looking for ratings. "NEW VERSION OF FLU MAY MAKE YOU MISS A FEW DAYS OF WORK, NO MORE DEADLY THAN ANY OTHER STRAIN" doesn't sell as much ad space as "NEW VERSION OF FLU... IS A PANDEMIC IN OUR FUTURE? HOW MANY WILL DIE?"
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i agree as well
    i had said it also when this first popped up that it is not unlike other flu strands . it happens viruses mutate so you get new viruses all the time
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 5:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• "The media truly was just looking for ratings. "NEW VERSION OF FLU MAY MAKE YOU MISS A FEW DAYS OF WORK, NO MORE DEADLY THAN ANY OTHER STRAIN" doesn't sell as much ad space as "NEW VERSION OF FLU... IS A PANDEMIC IN OUR FUTURE? HOW MANY WILL DIE?"

In case anyone hadn't noticed, the epidemic peaked during the May ratings book....

We just had the first two deaths in CA, but health officials have been very careful to say that the patients had other illnesses. The Health Officer for my county specifically stated that the patient did not DIE of swine flu, he happened to HAVE swine flu.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Worrying about the swine flu just makes people forget about the crappy economy. It's all hype and in my opinion just a way for the government to sidetrack americans from the REAL issues that are going on. Just my opinion here not necessarily fact. :)
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 7:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• There is a bit of hype to it but the epidemiicof 1918 came out its first round no different than any other flu andmost of the deaths occured in the second round that came back with a vengence in 1919. We have a cemetary in town here that is nothing but the children who died in 1919 from it. Its right next to the school.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 12:07 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• People seem to forget that even general flu can kill.
    ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 2, 2009