Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

ok ladies i need some advice on how to make my husband think!!!

i am so mad right now. i have told him a thousand times that our 2 year old knows how to open pill bottles and to put them back where he got them from instead of leaving them on the counter. (we keep all pills in a meds cabinent in the kitchen). i try to play out scenarios and say-"if you leave them out, Andy will get them, think they are his vitamins, take them and then who knows what will happen." i heard Andy playing with something just now and guess what....it was my hubbys vitamin C pills. i may be making this bigger than what it needs to be but i really wish he would think about these things. Andy did not take any but only because i watch him like a hawk and was able to take them from him and tell him they were medicene for daddy. oh im just so angry. does anyone have any tips about how i can approach this and get him to pay better attention?

Answer Question
 
SThompson21

Asked by SThompson21 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (13)
  • Find stories on the internet and scare the sh*t out of him. Sometimes men don't see the danger of things until we make them see it.
    Nathskitten

    Answer by Nathskitten at 12:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • tell your husband your son swallow an unknown number of them. make him freak out.
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 12:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Check your counters in the morning and pick up any pill bottles he lays around. Even after a scare, he may not remember to put them away. You are his wife, not his mommy. It's not your job to teach him, it's your job to be a loving wife to him.
    kemclaughlin

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Here's a link that might help: http://www.minti.com/parenting-advice/9973/please-make-sure-you-keep-medications-out-of-reach-of-children/ 


     It's a posting about a mother who's child got into grandmother's medications. Let your husband know that he is being careless in regards to both his medication and his child. And that being careless THIS way can prove to be fatal to your son. It's not a game and he shouldn't treat it as such. Kudos to you for being on top of this!

    TheDiva320

    Answer by TheDiva320 at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Personally? I'd move the medicine cabinet, and if that's not possible, just the pills. I wouldn't take that chance.
    gramsmom

    Answer by gramsmom at 1:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • so if shes not his mommy why is it her job to pick up after him?
    Anonymous

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • It's not my job to pick up after my kids. I DON'T pick up after my kids. It's my job to teach them to pick up after themselves, and I make them do it.

    It's not my job to teach my husband to pick up after himself. I respect him too much to nag at him especially since he is so wonderful as a husband and a father. I WON'T treat my husband like a child. I treat him like a man and he acts like one. It's easier to just pick up any mess he leaves and just be loving than to create tension in our marriage by nagging.
    kemclaughlin

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • i can understand what you are saying about being his wife and not his mom. i couldnt agree more. im not trying to nag him or give him a hard time about it. i just want him to understand that with a two year old he has to pay better attention. thats all. i appreciate your input though.
    im going talk to him when he gets home and tell him what happened. i will also be on the look out for forgotten pill bottles.
    thank you all for your input. :)
    SThompson21

    Answer by SThompson21 at 1:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • I agree with you about wanting him to be more careful, you just have to avoid crossing the line about nagging and treating him like he's a dumb child, because it's easier to pick up after him that struggle with a bad marriage or worse, be a single parent because he could not handle years and years of nagging... I avoid nagging so that it never becomes a habit.

    BTW, presenting it as "OMG!! The baby got a hold of a pill bottle that was left on the counter and..." Will work way better than "you left a bottle of pills on the counter and..." Does that make sense?
    kemclaughlin

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • IMO, you are not making too much of this, from a mom on a first name basis with poison control. My son is special needs and eats, drinks or takes anything he can find! And my DH is mindless about things like that too! Perhaps go to the poison control website to see if they may have videos pertaining to what happens when kids OD on adult meds!

    Austinsmom35

    Answer by Austinsmom35 at 1:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.