Do your children walk to school?

How far is the walk and how old are they?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, the bus stoppes directly in front of our house. Besides, school is a mile or two away and across four lanes of heavy traffic.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, but I walk with them because the school requires me to be there while they wait to go in. they are 8, 7 and 6 (finishing up 3rd, 1st and kindergarten). It's 3 1/2 blocks and takes us like 10 minutes to walk there (very leisurely pace). They've been walking home on their own, though. I still have to go to the school to get them but then they run off ahead and are home at least several minutes before I get there.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No, but they walk home. Our subdivision is right next door to the school. At the back of the neighborhood, the city put in a sidewalk from the street to the school. When my kids (11 and 7) come out of the school,they walk across the street with the crossing guard and down the side walk in front of the school. Then they are in my sight, then they cross again. There is no crossing guard there but MOST of the parents know that the kids cross and they are required to stop. Every now and then we get some crazy parent who is in a hurry and cuts. The kids are to wait until both directions stop, but usally there is at least one parent there that leads them. Sometimes its me, and sometimes its my neighbors. We look out for one anothers children because about 25 kids walk over to the neighborhood from the school.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:41 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Two of my kids walked to school this year, my 16yr old had to walk across the street to get to his school and my 9yr old walked to and from school, she had to walk down to the end of our street and there is a pathway leading into her shool. My other daughter took the bus because her school was 7 miles away.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• K-6 walked 1 block to school. 7 & 8 (just finishing up) took a school bus. High school public transit.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes. He just started walking to and from on his own. He's finishing up 4th grade.

We live about three blocks from school.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009