CFLs saving energy bulbs but did you know that...

....it contains mercury?

Will you keep buying them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Did you all know that they are EXCLUSIVELY made in CHINA?! I've posted about the CFL's several times, and I just get "poo pooed" So I gave up trying to inform anyone. I'm just stocking up on regular lightbulbs, so that by the year 2014 I'll be RICH sellign them on the "black market!!!" LOL :o) (partial sarcasm!)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, and it's not a lot and yes we will continue to buy them. Did you know that you could return the used ones back to Home Depot or Lowes?

Anonymous

• People don't know how to dispose of them. That is the only problem.
    Anonymous

• Did you know they will be required by 2014?
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 1:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yes. we still eat tuna too. mercury is found in a lot of things, if used correctly it can be safe.
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Some cannot stand these bulbs they complain of headaches and things caused by them.So they are stocking up on the regular bulbs before they are gone.
    Anonymous

• I hadn't been aware of the bulbs containing mercury. I don't use them prefer my regular ones since I only turn the lights on for a few hours at night I think its fine. Here's one concern I found about the bulbs containing mercury:

"The problem with the bulbs is that they'll break before they get to the landfill. They'll break in containers, or they'll break in a dumpster or they'll break in the trucks. Workers may be exposed to very high levels of mercury when that happens," says John Skinner, executive director of the Solid Waste Association of North America, the trade group for the people who handle trash and recycling.

Skinner says when bulbs break near homes, they can contaminate the soil.

Cleanup is also difficult if the bulb breaks in your home. You must leave for 15-20 minutes, airing out the home and shut off your central heat & air, then scoop everything up using cardboard, place it in a glass jar with a
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• metal lid or a zip lock plastic baggie, use tape to get up any remaining glass and powder, wipe with wet wipes and place in the jar or bag. If its on carpet and you have to vacuum it, you must throw out the vacuum bag afterward in a sealed plastic bag. Clothing and bedding that are contaminated must be thrown away. Doesn't sound like something I want in my home, sorry. Not with little kids running around.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was going to say "who cares" to this question! but after I read AprilDJC post I'm getting a little worry. Nothing is safe anymore!
    Anonymous

• We are stocking up on the other bulbs before they are gone. I cannot use the CFL they give me migraines. Two have exploded in our home and we had to evacuate our home for 24 hours due to the fumes. We cleaned the mess up and three days later another one did the same thing. My son was made sick from the fumes and hospitalized. We changed all our bulbs back. I have not noticed our electric bill going up at all. We turn lights off when not in a room though. I hate they are going to be required there are not too many places I can go without getting a migraine now thanks to these horrible bulbs. I just stay home most of the time.
    Anonymous