I have a neighbor who is very ill (recent cancer diagnosis). I have never known her well (small talk-the weather, etc.) I want to offer some support to her (she has an ailing mother who she has lived with to care for for years). I can't take her to her treatments (two hours away - I have three young kids) but I know there must be something I can offer without insulting her. Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Health

• Offer to bring her and her mom dinner a few nights a week. Let her know that you are there if she needs you in an emergency. These things are a big help to anyone not feeling well and bringing dinner to two women a few nights a week won't put a huge dent in your pocket book.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• make her something. some muffins, dinner. a homemade card from the kids might make her smile, thats far better than a ride!
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Offer to cook her a meal once a week, or clean her house on a regular schedule, or something that she had usually done herself.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• OFFER TO MAKE HER A MEAL AND DELIVER TO HER. FRIENDS DID THAT FOR ME WHEN I WAS RECEIVING CANCER TREATMENT AND WAS SO HELPFUL AND APPRECIATED
    lorett513

Answer by lorett513 at 1:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Offer to take over yard work, take her flowers to cheer her. (If you think she will be upset say they are for both of them), Just pop in to help. She will develop an ability to relax and accept your help but it will take time.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I agree anything will be helpful. Offer to pick up her house, yard work, dinner occassionally. Maybe just offer her a shoulder to lean on. Cancer treatments are hard on your body. I think just offering her simple heartfelt things would just make her day.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009