Do you yell at your neighbors for driving too fast up and down the road? Do they stop?

I live in an organized subdivision with posted 25 mph speed limit signs and my neighbors fly up and down the road going 40 to 50 mph. Its a small street, not a main thoroughfare. I dont let my kids ride their bikes on the street unless I am out there, but there should be no reason why people cant ride bikes or walk their children up and down the road along with the cars. This is a neighborhood, meant for people to live and feel safe. So when I am out there, and they are going too fast, I yell at them to slow down. I have had a few people stop because I got their attention. I am a nice person but definitely get mean when it comes to my kids. Even if they are playing in the driveway, I feel that its COMMON courtesy to slow down for children. Am I the only one that has to get mean with the neighbors to make them abide by the law??

momofsaee

Asked by momofsaee at 1:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• I stand outside and soak them with the water hose. Everyone on our street is my family, so speeding is not optional. We have a couple of youngsters that use our street as a "short cut" to get to their house, and boy they love to speed. I have yelled too many times to count, called the cops, given plate No.'s, the youngsters thought it was freaking hilarious until last week. I got home from work, grabbed the mail and the boys and I went outside to play. I noticed my grass was brown, so I grabbed the hose to nurture my poor grass (I am completely anal about my grass). The boys were playing in the dirt with their tonka trucks and I was watering the grass when I heard "The Speeders" radio bumping before they turned the corner. An evil smilish grin was posted on my face....I could hear them approaching closer.....closer.....and BAM! He had his window down...not my problem.

He doesn't drive down our street anymore.

SOLVED!
    momtotrips

Answer by momtotrips at 3:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Before we were able to get speed bumps put on our street, I would sometime stand in the middle of the street to get people to slow down.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• we throw stick at the tires of all the cars going too fast.
    Anonymous

• I think its very important to slow down in any residential area. I think a lot of young people speed because they don't fully grasp how precious children are and how fast tragedy can strike. If your road is notorious for speeders you can call the town..maybe they can install one of those speed signs that displays your speed or add regular speed trap patrols.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I hate speed bumps....but there are effective.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have NO PROBLEM telling people to SLOW DOWN....and I live on a dead end street with maybe 9 homes.

Dannee

Answer by Dannee at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Apparently, one of my neighbors was telling me that they have complained NUMEROUS times to the city and they have yet to take them seriously. Maybe its because there are many neighborhoods around here and they ALL have the same complaint? Too many complaints and not enough people to put the speed bumps in? I really don't know, but for 2 1/2 yrs, I have bitched at my neighbors for this offense. We are moving in 2 weeks to 7 acres in the country. Im done with this neighborhood thing.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i have been known to yell at cars that drive too fast adn at our old house we lived on a corner, it had a 4 way stop adn people were always runnin the stop sign so i have yelled about that also. there have been some that stoped and got nasty with me, and there have been others who slowed down, then ones that jsut outright ignored me
    2barnettkids

Answer by 2barnettkids at 1:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have because they are more concerned with getting to where they are going then watching out for any kids that may be playig outside.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I call the police, give them the license number, and time of day they are usually speeding through here. Often it is a regular visitor in our area, since our road is in a very out of the way area due to the highway cutting through neighbor hoods when it was built. They usually catch the person and ticket them.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 1:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009