What help can I get from the government?

I have two kids (newborn and 2 yr old) and am married. He works making 9 dollars an hour/ 35-40 hours a week. I am unemployeed. We live in Tennessee. I want to go back to school, but we barely have enough money to pay the bills, we can't afford a babysitter and it would be pointless for me to work just to pay a babysitter. I have no family and don't know anyone around here for help. I have no idea how we can get ourselves out of this situation and into a more stable financial situation. Is there any program I can apply for that would help with school or babysitter?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• You can apply for grants and financial aid for school. Some schools have child care for low income families. Also, you can get government assistance with child care if you are working. I think that you should stay home with your babies and try to make it work. Who can take better care of them than you? Also, you may qualify for food stamps, medicaid, and/or wic.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can deliver newspapers, UPS or deliver pizzas on an opposite shift of him or he can do 2 jobs. For schooling what about going back for something cheaper and quick to start CNA or something. I can give you more ideas if you would like just send me a PM. This is just a quick start.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 1:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Check with social services, sometimes they help with childcare if you can't afford it.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 1:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I hear ya honey... welcome to the ultimate dilema for moms. I'm in the same situation here in AZ, and I'm planning on going back to school when my kids reach school age. You might just have to sit tight until that time, as well. Sadly, there aren't many programs to help parents get an education. You are, however, eligible for a PEL grant if you can find someone to watch your kids. I would recommend getting involved in your local chapter of MOPS (Mothers of PreSchoolers). A lot of those moms are SAHMs.... and maybe once you build up some friendships, they would be willing to watch your little ones while you go to school. It's worth a shot... I mean, I would do that for someone in my MOPS group if they needed it.

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can work opposite shifts from your husband. Many of my friends do this. They don't like it but they have kids they brought into the world to feed so they do what they have to.
    Anonymous

• I would totally recommend fastweb.com for scholarships. This website is free. You answer some questions about your interest, grades, income etc, and then they send you information on scholarships that you qualify for. They can even send you a reminder before certain scholarships are due.

You’ll want to fill out a fafsa online (http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/) as soon as possible. Government aide is on a first come first serve basis so try filling it out January 1st of every year. You will qualify for Pell Grants which are "loans" that don't have to be repaid as long as you get above a 2.0 and you are taking more than 6 credits a semester.

Also you can go to school online from a lot of local colleges. So you can be home with the kids and getting an education.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hi Momma! Sorry things are so hard :( I would like to share with you a life changing opportunity. It has helped my family and so many others out of similar circumstances. Take a look at this video, I know this will help you. http://www.efusjonenergyclub.com/flv/fulllength.html I really hope that you see what potential this has so you can stay home with your kids. Let me know if you have any questions or want more info. Good Luck and God bless!
    https://www.myefusjon.com/AmmyWilkins
    zipitty

Answer by zipitty at 2:52 PM on Jun. 2, 2009