Do you or your husband make over $50k a year?

Does it all go towards bills or do you ever have extra left over to have fun with?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• We both make over $50K. He's at about $67K and I make about $60K although we are on reduced pay at the moment.

We don't have anything left over. We can barely pay our bills now. We haven't been on vaca since 2004 and that was a family wedding, we don't have pay tv channels, we don't go out to eat EVER, I don't get manis/pedis, I don't buy meat unless its on sale.... I don't know how people do it on less. Of course DH has child support on his son, that's a big chunk each month...
    Anonymous

• I don't this year. But I will next year. I work hard for it, too! Right now we are living on about $25K a year. But thanks to my new business I'm gonna easily have that doupled by the end of the year!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We do and dont have much left over, we are the same, dont eat out, no pay channels and buy groceries on sale. I even asked for a raincheck today for toilet paper. Whooo.
    dillonsma

Answer by dillonsma at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• DH makes about 35-40 a year...and after we pay our mortgage, bills, groceries,...we have about 500-700 left at the end of the month for other incidentals, travel, entertainment, etc. we make everything stretch and as a result, dont have to sacrafice and make ourselves miserable. we have a little going into his retirement fund, but more will go in over the next few years. hes military so his pension will also be there when he retires. not everyone is aware of their expeditures and its really amazing if you track spending habits!! my biggest advice is to make a list of meals to prepare from pay check to paycheck...buy only the items needed for those meals, and that frees up money for snacks, and all the stuff you DONT need! woo hoo
    FoxyRoxyMommy

Answer by FoxyRoxyMommy at 3:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My husband makes $105,000 a year. I stay at home with the kids and don't bring home any income. We have nothing leftover at the end of the month.

We have no credit card debt and recently paid off the last of our student loans. We have a car payment and mortgage. Our house is on a 15 year note, which does make our payments huge ($1,825 a month), but our house will be paid off in less than 10 more years and I'm only 33.

Right now groceries are killing us. We have 2 in diapers. A cart load of groceries that used to cost $80 just two years ago now is more like $160.
    Anonymous

• I wish! We never have enough left over from bills. I'm hoping that will be remedied soon. We haven't had a vacation in years ~ literally! Extra usually means buying something for a gift for someone else. We've barely had enof to meet our bills this past year.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Last year my husband made $231K, and so far this year he's made about $106K, before supplies/expenses for work. I stay at home with the kids. The only bill we have is our mortgage, and any extra we have goes in to savings for house stuff, bigger expenses, or investments. We don't really blow our money on any frivolous stuff.
    Anonymous

• We make 60k a year, we're a family of 6 and live in Northern California so most of it goes to bills, if we have any leftover I set it aside for small things we may need later, like a $30 co-pay to the doctors and emergencies. Most of the time however we don't have anything left over, we're far from comfortable middle class and rich, but we are no longer in the poor bracket and I'm happy with that :-)

We don't go out to eat, and we don't buy things outside groceries and necessities. When we go camping it's free at a friends property and we budgeted the food expense into our grocery money a month ahead of time making us eat on an even tighter budget. When we vacation we stay at a friends or family members house to cut down expense.
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 6:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We do and we have plenty to put into long term savings, short term savings, vacation, eating out, etc. But realize that we have been wise with our money from day one. We have always chosen to not spend outside our income level. When we decide that we want something nice (like we just purchased a travel trailer), we know exactly how much we intend to spend (not how much we can afford, b/c that would be more than we are willing to put towards one.) We also used this same principle with our mortgage. We loaned for 1/2 of what we qual'd for. We have a great house, we are comfortable, and we have money to spend on daily things that we want and like. Its a process. You can do it too. I promise. :)
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 6:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes we do, and yes we have money left over for fun :)
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009