I talked to my fiance about what you guys have said and he said the only reason why him and the recruiter say after bootcamp is because for what he is going in, he'll need a top securiety clearance and I have really bad credit and history and they say that'll screw him up trying to get that clearance. Is there any truth in this?

USNmomwife

Asked by USNmomwife at 2:02 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• sounds like a load of crap to me. ...but who knows. Sometimes the military tells the guys things that arnt true or that dont make sense.

...still sounds like a load of crap to me.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Unless you have A TON of debt, your credit history shouldn't matter. Now his will, but IMO it sounds like BS.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 2:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't think your bad credit history has anything to do with him getting the top security clearance. He is the one who they are interested . So he needs to have pretty much clean record to get the clearance.

Anonymous

• It does not sound like BS to me. It actually seems more unlikely that getting married after bootcamp would make you less of a security risk. It seems like getting married at all would put him at risk for failing a security clearance. That being said, security checks take months and months to do so maybe he is full of it.
    kemclaughlin

Answer by kemclaughlin at 2:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We just spoke to a recruiter about 3 weeks ago with my 17 y/o son, and they now do credit checks on people going into at least the Air Force. If you don't have a high enough score you do not qualify for the branch. (There is a 9 month wait in our area to even go to boot camp, so my son was advised to apply to colleges and think about the service after he turns 18 and graduates h.s. next spring) Also when you are married they look at both people to get final credit score. You could always call a recruiter office in your area and ask the branch your b/f is in to double check.

mom-2-4boys

Answer by mom-2-4boys at 2:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Credit factors in to security clearances and enlistment oppurtunities because excessive debt or financial crimes on the part of the service member or spouse makes the service member more apt to commit financial crimes against the military while in service. Yes, they do check credit. If you are not married yet and you think your financial history looks bad, yes, you should wait until he gets processed through and has his clearance before getting married.
    Danielle720

Answer by Danielle720 at 2:28 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• YOUR credit does not matter. It is HIS credit. If you pulled JOINT credit after you were married and fell behind on it, it WOULD matter.

But no, the spouses credit does not factor into a security clearance. My husband recently filled out for a secret clearance and he spoke to an investigator a week ago, and they did NOT check my credit, but they DID check his.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• OP did he say a TOP Secret or Secret. Secret and Top secret ARE different.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 2:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Top secret goes into an investigation usually done by the FBI. When it comes to you as a spouse they just make sure you are a safe person. When my husband got his TSI they mainly checked out his back ground. But to be on the safe side just ask the recruiter yourself. And don't do any credit in both your names for a while.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 3:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• HIS bad credit will hinder his security clearance. If you don't have joint credit, then it won't. YOUR credit has nothing to do with him unless it's joint.
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009