Healthy meals???

My ds is 10 months and is eating table foods he will no longer eat baby food.... I have been giving him oatmeal for breakfast.... But I usually make him a grilled cheese or spaghetti O's or something like that for lunch and dinner.... I want to make healthier foods so he doent get use to eating junk food.... but I'm on a budget and I need ideas for cheap healthy foods.... anyone????

mommy2b17MV

Asked by mommy2b17MV at 2:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Eggs are cheap and healthy. And, wheat bread, yogurt, and ripe bananas.
    Anonymous

• Canned beans (black, pinto), fruit that's ripe and in season (bananas are always cheap -- you can mash them or give pieces), cooked brown rice, cheerios or other unsweetened cereal, whatever veggie's on sale cooked soft enough -- carrots, sweet potatoes, broccoli... Scrambled eggs or omlettes, whole milk yogurt. It is sad that lots of the good, healthy options I can think of are a little pricier -- but babies don't eat that much in one sitting so if you're careful you won't waste anything (we did things like hummus and pita bread, veggie burgers -- about a half in a day. But in general if you look for things that aren't canned or marketed for kids, and buy in bulk, you should do alright...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Also avocado is a great healthy, baby-friendly food... whether they're affordable or not depends on where you live and whether or not they're on sale
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• frozen veggies, or even caned ones with no added salt...

whold grain pasta with shreaded cheese. grilled cheese is good if you use whole grain bread and non american cheese, and very little butter, bagles or whole grain waffles. yogurt, cottage cheese,

im on a strict budget for food too, if you need more help feel free to pm me
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 2:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Oops I just noticed your baby is not 12 months old yet... you're supposed to avoid the eggs until then.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My son eats what we eat... I try to make it as healthy as I can or add in healthy stuff (because I don't always eat the best LOL)
    Things he LOVES: Kidney beans, 3 bean salad (come in a can or jar), fruit and cereal bars, french toast with a little cinnamon and sugar (no syrup), corn, yogurt, mashed potatoes, pita bread, tortilla shells, tomatoes, bread, crackers, fish
    Other things he eats (but doesn't LOVE) chicken, burger, lunch meats, eggs, cooked broccoli, banana, rice

Cheap (store brands): canned beans, pasta, frozen veges, yogurt, oat meal, rice, potatoes, apples (make home made applesauce.. very easy), eggs, bread
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 2:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• definantly look at store flyers and buy whats on sale, in bulk if you can. After a couple weeks you will have all you need, for cheap, at your fingertips.Feed your baby the same healthy things you would feed yourself, just without the spices and salts. Avoid eggs, strawberries, shellfish, fish,and honey til one yr.I plan to make most of my own baby food so I have been planning alot of tips to make certain things each day to t hen have variety to pull from the freezer :o).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• eggs actually 6 months and over can have the egg yolks only, i scramble them, also I use frozen veggies and my son is 10 months too and eats what we eat. So I will cook chicken breasts but cut a little piece before I season them off and cook it with no seasoning and cut it up for him with some veggie we are having that night, he loves it.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 3:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oh and fish is good for them after 6 months. Salmon is the best so I cook some salmon for him too, and strawberries are ok after 6 months too in moderation and no known allelrgies.
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Our son is 9 months old and I have always made all of his foods homemade. Here is a typical meal for him (NOTE: he is still breastfed and nurses before each meal):

Breakfast: Oatmeal and rice cereal (the oats and grains)

Lunch: Swaccolini (mixture of sweet potatoes and broccoli, both of which our son loves. May not sound good, but it is; I taste everything before giving it to him) or some sort of vegetable, and either a fruit dish (pears, apples, etc) or a dairy dish and fruit dish (yogurt with fruit mixed in).

Dinner: Caulitatoes (mixture of cauliflower and potato) and then some little snack like a baby mum mum rice rusk or something.

We haven't introduced finger foods yet but we will be really soon.

The good thing about these meals is that I can meals is that I can make both our son's meals and me and hubby's meals with the same ingredients! I found all of my homemade baby food recipes online.
    tippymorgan08

Answer by tippymorgan08 at 6:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009