• In the Spotlight:

does being a good person mean this.....or that

following your heart and moral compass on what is right...what is wrong....

or following a set of rules set down in a book.

before this gets into a fight, im not saying the commandments are bad...im just saying in general what do you think makes a good person....
someone who lives strictly by the commandments...or someone who lives strictly by their heart and a strong moral compass.

and i mean christian, not christian, hindu, pagan...whatever.
just in general

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• BOTH YOU NEED BOTH .

Anonymous

• I THINK A GOOD PERSON IS ONE THAT LIVES BY THEIR HEART AND STRONG MORAL COMPASS. DO UNTO OTHERS HOW YOU WOULD LIKE TO HAVE THEM DO UNTO YOU.

Answer by older at 2:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Both
    Anonymous

• personally i look at the commandments as a general guideline....its like when you get a new job you ge a rule book, so you have a general basis then need to use that example as help in finding your own personal moral compass and sense of right and wrong. its a good beginning point i guess is what im saying.

my father has a brass inscribed huge scroll of the commandments, that is set onto stained wood...its gorgeous. even someone who hates the commandments would admire it, its very artsy..lil off topic
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• A good person knows how to be a good person with their own morals. Not a book telling them how to be. If you just follow "good rules", you're more of a follower. A true good person thinks of being one as a personal goal, not a law to live up to. KWIM? -not to say that follwoers can't be good people too
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 2:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• example......honor they mother and father.
    so if your parents are terrible, neglectful and hateful you honor them? no..i dont think so.
    i just think the coandments are a starting oint for some people.....

thou shall not kill.....if someone breaks into my house you can bet i wont think twice about killing them and protecting my family. and i do not think that makes me evil....

just general guidelines
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• A moral compass of whats right and wrong based on your individual feelings.

There are certain things that I think are pretty universal throughout most religions, so those are the ones I take more seriously than others. (not killing, etc)

But, I also think that under the right circumstances, even those universal 'sins' can be 'right'. (example: IMO my creator wouldn't think of it as a sin if I killed someone who harmed my child. It might be wrong, but easily forgiven)
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• To thine own heart be true. Do it because you feel it's the right thing to do not because some book tells you it's the right thing to do.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I follow my OWN moral code, not a generic one written thousands of years ago by a small group of MEN. I consider myself to be a good person, I mess up sometimes, but then as I am human- that is to be expected LOL. It irritates me that many people seem to think that morality is impossible w/o god. SO not true... in fact, MANY immoral things have been done in the name of god. Pick a god- they have all inspired *bad* behavior towards *others*...
    mtnmama111

Answer by mtnmama111 at 3:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think you need your own moral compass because a list of rules, however good it may be, will never cover every contingency. For example: say it is WWII and you are hiding a Jewish family in your attic. If the Gestapo comes knocking on your door and asks if you are hiding a Jewish family in your attic, do you lie to protect the family? Or do you tell the truth and watch the family marched off to a death camp because your religious code tells you lying is sinful? If we live 'only' by the rule list, we may miss the fact that real life situations are often not black and white, but shades of grey. That is why we need our own moral compass, even if we embrace the ethics taught by our society/religion/philosophy as well.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 3:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009