sneaking food?

My 4 and 2 yr old sneak food in the mornings. they get up super early, and they will sneak food. From loafs of bread, bananas, ice cream CARTONS, bags of chocolate chips, pop tarts, i mean anything they can get ahold of. fruits, veggies, junk.

I do have the child locks on my frige and freezer, but they can get into them. I don't know what else to do??? I don't want to lock them in because then my older one can't get out to use the restroom.

I've left out healthy snacks, but i don't want them to think that its ok to just get food. they go downstairs when i am sleeping really deep and i don't hear them for a while.

Any suggestions???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would put a gate up so that they can't get into the kitchen. If thats not an option, block them in their room and get a baby monitor, your older child can call for you when she needs to potty. You will also be able to hear them if they try to get up to sneak food! Thats about all I can think of, hope it helps!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 2:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Can you lock them out of the kitchen, or upstairs at least, without locking them in their rooms? I guess a baby gate is no match for a team like that, though... I think your action may have to be disciplinary, rather than physical barriers.. This should be an absolute "no" and there has to consequences.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I really am interested in the other responses to this, though... my daughters are currently 2 (but in a crib still) and 9 months... I guess I don't have a plan yet for once they start roaming the house and I don't have to be awake ever moment they're awake!
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 2:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Maybe there hungry? If you dont want them having certain foods maybe you can put some of it in your room and hide it somwhere. My son is 29 months old and some times he will wake me up around 4am for some warm milk and I get it for him. Other times he and I will snack on food befor we go to bed. Toddlers dont eat very well cause there so picky and thats why I make sure that when my son ask for something I get it for him but I also dont let him eat allot of junk food.
    Anonymous

• I'd put healthy things in a shelf for them in an easy access location then block off everything else.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 4:00 PM on Jun. 1, 2009