What should my son do to keep up his reading and math skills?

I don't have much time or budget to hire a professional tutor or help him myself. Any suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:29 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• maybe go tothe library once a week and get new books that he picks out. Have him read for 30 mins each day in the summer. You can probably buy a math book for his age level at walmart for cheap or print some math sheets off the computer. I think some study time is good in the summer. Maybe he could do one worksheet on mon, wed friday in addistion to reading as part of his chore list. Flash cards are good and they can be a game you play together. (like if he gets them all right then he is excused from clearing the table) just some fun incentives.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• We used LeapAhead online summer math for 2 years. It has been fanastic. My kids love it very much. All assignments are auto graded and the program keeps track of the scores and the kids progress. (That makes my life easier :-)) Students earn stars and ribbons for their achievements. My kids are very motivated to work on the assignments daily! If you need a link, here it is http://www.noetic-learning.com/summermath.

We also use library for reading. Our local library has a fun reading program for kids all ages. Check out your local library or bookstores on their summer reading program.
    baseballmom009

Answer by baseballmom009 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Read books go to Dollar Tree they have all types of work books only a $1 each
    IloveJesus316

Answer by IloveJesus316 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I like games. Scavenger hunts, puzzles and nothing beats a good ol book. For every few book he reads, let him pick out a comic book he likes. My son likes comics, magazines and joke books.
    TaiyoandMe

Answer by TaiyoandMe at 5:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My adopted daughter is in 2nd grade and struggling wih math and spelling. I like and agree with the answers above but, have a few more to add. Walmart sells these great "books" for all grades and different subjects. They're more like coloring or activity books and they're in that section. have about 3 and I think they cost about $4

We also use Jump start and LeapFrog. The Jump starts are a lot cheaper, I just got one for 2nd grade math off Ebay for $3 !! She loves it. These dont require any type of player, you can put the CD right in the computer.

Anything that will entertain them will not seem like WORK :) Good Luck
    mwilkinson757

Answer by mwilkinson757 at 8:02 AM on Jun. 7, 2009