would you think a preacher was wrong for saying this

i already know some answers im gonna get.......my husband went to talk to a chaplain once on post. my hubby is very scientific...and he doesnt put much in the way of faith or religion, he believes their is something..but no idea what. he is a good man...honest, very honest..sometimes brutally h onest, faithful, hardworking etc etc. and the chaplain told him since he did not put faith into god, he was giong to hell no matter how good of a person he was. my husband replied if im giong to hell even though im a good person just because i dont attend church then i wouldnt want to worship him anyways. and i agree with that.....any god that forces obedience or eternal suffering sounds evil to me.
if this were you...how would you of responded.

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 2:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• for my own personal beliefs...its not about what or who you believe in...but how you act in your life, your actions and your moral compass, your karma etc. that determines what happens....
    now your actual religion
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would have responded that I would pray for him because MY God is a God of love and compassion, and he is too busy helping the world to be too worried that I am not in church. Hey it is good to question, even get mad at God, trust me lol he's a big boy He can take it.I wonder what that means for all those home based churches, are they going to hell too? tell hubby to find another preacher/pastor to talk to , they are not all like that. ;o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 2:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• The preacher was just being brutally honest back with your husband. It's the truth, the Bible even says so. Whether we think it's right or wrong, it is what it is.
    Anonymous

• i just dont b uy it.

any god who was loving...peaceful....all knowing........would not say "worship me or die" that right their is evil, selfish, prideful.
    i do believe in god....i put faith in my heavenly father BUT i think the bible was somewhat misconstrude by the men who wrote it because well, they were men....and humans are not perfect. so for me i believe if your an evil person and do wrong and hurt others...you will get what is coming. but if your a good person with a good heart, exact same.
    as a preacher though he had no tact. chaplains in the army are supposed to be non bias and help to support all religions and he very much favored catholicism and made that clear to my husband. you know i pray every night.....and every night i always add on this tid bit about sending my family to heaven and i would take their place in hell gladly to save their souls if either one were damned their. my husband has no idea i do tha
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hun, no matter how hard you try you can't save someone else. It has to be them, in their own will.
    Anonymous

• I would have responded the same way. It seems to me that a lot of good people will end up in hell and bad people in heaven given the doctrines of the Christian church. So heaven and hell must be one in he same place in my view. This reminds me of one of my favorite quotes by Mark Twain:
    "I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell- you see, I have friends in both places."
    :)
    dawpea

Answer by dawpea at 2:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i do it out of...well i dont kow i just do it ...

i just..ive said this a million times. i do not think god is the picky asshole people make him out to be. i really dont. i think he is ten times more forgiving then ppl realize, and it hink he see's the big picture...the heart...the soul....the good person vs the bad......he's above the petty crap and the you have to worship me or else! thats threatening..id ont think he is threatening. i just dont think he's the dick people make him out to be. is he human..well no....but he understand us more than we understand us, he knows if we are good or bad and its that simple.....
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 2:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• IMO your hubby said the right thing. I happen to be Agnostic-theist and think that if I have a divine creator; then that creator would only want my happiness. I really don't think my creator would care what 'religion' I called myself or if I read some book written 2000 yrs ago...as long as I'm a good person and try and make this world a better place, then I certainly have a spot in "heavan" (or will be reincarnated).

Tell your hubby (from one military family to another) THANK YOU for all he does for our country and that MY creator will welcome him in the afterlife...besides, my "heavan" is going to be so much more fun than that stuffy Xtian one, so come party it up in the clouds with us! LOL
    ozarkgirl3

Answer by ozarkgirl3 at 2:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• The preacher mentioned believeing in God but you determined that mean "just because he doesn't go to church" that isn't what the preacher meant.The bible does say that unless one confesses with the mouth of their sins and believe Jesus Christ died on the cross for those sins...and ask Him to come into their hearts and guide them then they will not be saved..they will not see enternel life in heaven.This is absolutely nothing to do with being "good" person or church attendence.This is all about acknowledging what Christ did for us acknowleding our sin a nature and accepting the gift of salvation.All about a relationship with our savoir.The being a "good" person should follow all that anyway but it is not a requirement for salvation and it will not save someone just to be a good peron.The preacher was only being honest by his beliefs I highly doubt he was meaning to be mean or nasty but these days if a preacher speaks anything
    Anonymous

• other then all the sweetness that tickles the ears they are pinned horrible people it seems.
    Anonymous