My grandmother bought savings bonds for my children since birth. She has her SS # on the front.

Since buying them she has passed away. Will I be able to cash them in so the boys can open mutual funds or another investment? Will they question the SS# since she has passed away?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• You will certainly be able to cash them. And no they shouldn't question the SS# on the front of it. Just fill out the back info. I think there's a place on the back to put your SS#, since your # isn't on the front. I just cashed in a few of mine. One had a old friends SS# on it and I had no problem cashing it.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 2:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• No you won't have a problem cashing them. My kids have savings bonds too, some of them have MY ss# on them, some have theirs, and some have grandpa's.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 2:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My mom gave me a savings bond when I turned 30 (that was when it reached full maturity) that someone had bought as a baby gift for me while she was still pregnant with me. Since I didn't have a SS# yet, they put my mom's on there and I had no trouble cashing it.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:38 PM on Jun. 1, 2009