Were going to Walmart (first outing since baby was born),pumping questions

Ok so heres the deal, we are going to Walmart today (me,my SO,and our new baby girl Heidi) its our first outing as a family! Our baby was in the NICU for a week and never got the hang of breastfeeding so ive been pumping for her because I figure it doesnt matter how she gets it as long as she gets it! (Im against formula feeding her). So heres my questions: How much should I pump before enough for two feeding should do it right? And should I freeze them and go? How am I supposed to thaw them out while where gone...should I refrigerate them and use our bottle warmer on them (it would never thaw out a frozen bottle)? Or do you have any of your own advice? Where going to super walmart for groceries and my SO is the only one who drives and I totally dont trust him going alone (He loves junk food). So staying home with the baby totally isnt an option.

hug4akiss

Asked by hug4akiss at 3:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We have formula so for our first outing should I just formula feed her becuase I dont even know if I CAN pump enough for her before we go...
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would pump whatever you get off of both sides and just take it with you...Once you freeze it and thaw it it's only good for an hour and can't be refrozen, it's can be in the refrigerator for up to 7 days and room temp for 10 hrs according to Lansinoh and that's what Ive done since i started pumping and it's been fine. so just pump both sides until nothing comes out and take it with you:)
    congrats and have a fun outing!
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• If you really want to continue BFing I would skip the formula altogether..if you're not comfy BFing in public (im not) you can take her to the car and nurse her...just pump and take whatever you get...
    calliesmommie

• she may not even wake up and be hungry. just make sure you feed her before you go...I was really nervous the first time I went out but we did fine.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 3:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I thought you were against formula LOL..pump what you can and do your feeding a few ounces should get her throught an hour or 2 of shopping. I would refrigerate it and store with a frozen lunch cooler or a bag of ice in a lunch bag.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 3:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• its not that im noy comfortable BFing in public...since she was in the NICU ofr a week and they exclusively bottle fed her my Breast milk (and formula when they ran out of that) she just wont latch (trust me ive tried everything I can think of...still trying)
    hug4akiss

Answer by hug4akiss at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can just pump and bring it with you...know need to refridgerate like PP said..it will keep for the trip. On another note you don't want to have to keep pump to get her breast milk. When she's hungry get her undressed and take you shirt off completely, this will encourage her to latch on...she will nuzzle in for warmth.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• oops ...refrigerate

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• hope you understood that ...I'm full of typos today
    Farrahann

• I can't answer the pumping question, but you may be able to get baby to breast to make life easier. Here is a nice little gadget called a supplumental nursing system. Congrats on your formula free decision mama!

ColleenF30

Answer by ColleenF30 at 4:19 PM on Jun. 1, 2009