Potty training my child!!! I'm going crazy! Please help!

I have a 2 yr old who will be 3 in 3 mos and he still wears diapers! I try everything! I take him to potty like every 20 mins, put big boy underwear on sometimes just when we're at home, bribe with cookies, nothing works, he always says... put my diaper back on, if I dont' he will just go. He has been going #2 in the potty okay... not great but it's going better then the peeing. Even my 4 yr old tries to convince him and tells him I'm a big boy, and you can be too. My 4 yr old was potty trained b4 he was 2&1/2. I'm going nutty!!

KL24

Asked by KL24 at 3:08 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Your son may not be ready. All kids are different. My oldest daughter was trained by 18 months and that includes nights. She basically did it herself. She could not stand being wet. My youngest.........she could of walked around with a diaper sagging down around her knees and wouldnt care. She was still wearing pullups when she was 3. We potty trained for several months. I can honestly say she was trained around 4. She wet at night till she was 5. My grandson, turned 3 in April. He is just now starting to get the concept and will go here and there on the potty.

Take a deep breath..........Why make him grow up so fast? The more frantic and upset you get......the harder this process will be. Be happy when he does go. And shrug your shoulders and say "mabe next time" when he doesnt. He will be graduating from high school before you know it and you will miss these times.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 8:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• he may not be r eady yet but keep trying as hard as it it and when he does go #2 on the potty make a HUGE deal out of it clap and tell him how proud you are of him and try and give one to two m&ms every time he goes or some small snack that he really enjoys and when he pees in his pant act sad about dont yell at him or anything like just say peeing in your underware is not good now you dont get an m&m good luck and hang in there momma
    J_L_Fshr

Answer by J_L_Fshr at 3:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Here's a website that will make you feel even worse: http://izzyclaussen.blogspot.com

Mom's opinion is that you are part of a society that is lazy and you like to let your kid sit in their poop.

Just take step back. Relax. I feel for you.
    Anonymous

• Have him help you put all the diapers in a box to give to the babies...because they are for babies and he is a big boy...he doesn't need them anymore.

Then comes your self control...you cannot use diapers or pull-ups for ANY reason...not in public...not in bed....do not use them at all. You have to be ready for potty training just as much as he needs to be ready.

Make sure you have about 20 undies and just leave washer lid open...when he wets...change him and put the undies in the washer.

Ask questions like..."who wants an M&M?"...okay...go sit on the potty first...give him a treat for trying.

Also remind him to try to go periodically. When he pees....you should jump, shout, sing, dance, and call grandma to tell her the good news.

It's best to stay at home for about 3 days straight...keep most of your attention on that child during that time.

Potty training takes time and dedication...it doesn't happen righ
    Anonymous

• don't use diapers anymore, no matter what he says.
    put him in underwear at home. he needs to feel the wet or dirtyness.
    have HIM take off the wet/dirty underwear clean him up the have HIM put the dry ones on.
    don't bribe him with food just hugs, stickers, and high fives. ( if he stays dry)
    when you go out put cloth training pants with plastic underwear over them. At night use a pull-up.
    he is going #2 that's the hard one usually, so relax. also ask him if it hurts when he goes pee (bladder infection)
    ok you can also try having him have a pee race ( in the toilet) with his brother sounds weird/funny, but it may work.
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 1:37 PM on Jun. 3, 2009