constipation

my dd just turned 1 may 16th so her dr told me to take her off formula and give her whole milk. but for a week now she's been constipated badly. she crys and claws at everything when she trys to poop. i know it might sound gross when i say this but its like a big huge poop she trys to get out even with small little ones she crys in pain.

i tired to give her prune juice baby prune food nothing helps her discomfort..suppository isnt going to help thats for sure.

so should i change her milk to soy or 2 percent.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Call your nurse and ask if this is normal. Sounds too coincidental.

Bananas and milk drive constipation. Give 1/2 of the liquids as milk and 1/2 with water? Water during snack times and milk during meals? Constipation happens when you have too little fiber and water in your diet. Pears have high fiber, try giving her some pears?

Or does she like raspberries? They are extremely high in fiber and water.
    lynnard

Answer by lynnard at 3:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• hey she has the same b-day as me!! lol anyway, no you shouldn't put her on 2% milk b/c it has less fat in it && she needs that right now to maintain her correct weight. You can put a teaspoon of Karo syrup in each bottle. It may take a day or 2 to work, but it will help regulate her bowel movements && it is completely safe to put in every bottle.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 3:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I used Soy after my son didn't tolerate whole milk very well - !
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, my son was the same way, we had to use soy milk for him as well. I don't tolerate milk well, either. If one of you is intolerant, it's pretty possible for her not to be either. Poor baby! I do remember those constipation days. Those are NOT pretty or fun. :( Give her lotsa hugs and love.
    SciFantasy

Answer by SciFantasy at 5:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Okay someone told me a long time ago when my little one was constipated, was to give her/him 4 bottles of pineapple juice. Well it worked for mine with in the 2nd bottle. At that time I wish I would have only gave her one. I hope that helps.
    Younganproud

Answer by Younganproud at 11:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009