Is it true that SOME states put your SSN on your DL?

This is an ongoing argument between me and the DF, he says no, but I am pretty sure some state use your social as your driver license number, or at least put it on your DL, so cvan anyone tell me who is right and wrong here?

hautemama83

Asked by hautemama83 at 3:15 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Just for Fun

Level 2 (-14 Credits)
  • I've lived in a couple states where the SSN was on your Drivers License, I hear some states it's optional, and I believe most if not all states are wising up about identity theft and attempting to shy away from the use of it on your licence however given it takes money to replace any old system that was in place I can see why some states haven't yet completely banished it yet.

Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 5:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I live in PA and it's not on our driver licenses. We have 8 digit D.L. #'s. I don't know about anything other state.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I know VA use too.. It was on mine but that was 7 years ago. So it might have changed.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 3:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i used to live in alabama and our s.s.n is on our license if we want it on there. it is an option there. now i live in arkansas and we dont even have the option here.
    so ha DF- she was right lol
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Arkansas, Louisiana and Texas used to but have stopped.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Sorry, but I think he's right.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 3:21 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Like someone else I am in Pa and it isn't on mine. But I grew up in Jersey and I know it's NOT on theirs either. But Jersey's number has all your other info in the number...like height, weight, hair/eye color and birthdate.
    mere417

Answer by mere417 at 3:22 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• ok i need to rephrase that-it used to be. i dont know if they still do it there.
    SThompson21

Answer by SThompson21 at 3:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• In PA, ours also doesn't have hair color or weight. These are things that can change quite easily. They still do the eye color though, but I imagine the number of people with colored contacts is far less than the # of people that dye their hair.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You had the option of having your SSN as your DL in Arkansas for a while, but it's been quite a few years since they stopped doing that. But even thin, it was an option, you could still have a separate number assigned as your DL number
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009