what should i do? not really P&CE but wasnt' sure where to post....

I was in a car acc in october of 08 I was rear ended (not my fault at all lots of witnesses) I had torn ligaments in my neck and bulging discs in my back. The insurance company has offerd me 2K above and beyond medical bills. I don't think that is fair. I don't want to hire an attorney because i don't want to pay the fees. My medical bills were about 4K not to mention the fact that my mom and my mil had to watch my dd three times a week for three months so i could go to physical thearpy and also had to help me with cooking and cleaning and taking care of my dd because i was in so much pain from the acc that i couldn't handle it on my own. I would like to try to negotaiite with them on my own before I go to an attorney (btw every attorney i have talked to has said my claim is worth around 7K) How would you suggest i try to ask the insurance for more money because i don't think its fair without causing a bigger problem?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• They didn't ask for a specifc amount, they just said they would not settle for the original amount and said they "might need to just consult an attorney"
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• i say get and attorney! :D best bet! trust me!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 3:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• but if i get an attorney they will take a third of the settlement and it will take forever and that is the problem i really need it NOW. I need to buy a new car. They only gave me 1K for my car because it was old but it ran PERFECT and no i have no car so i need the money to buy a car like within the next month because i am going back to work and have signed my dd up for dance classes so i really need a car!!!
    Anonymous

• Tell them you were looking at 10x's that much and they will come back with an offer somewhere in the middle.
    Anonymous

do people really do that though? I don't want the adjuster to like laugh at me for telling her i want more you know what i mean? does anyone ever go back to they adjuster with an amount that they want??
    Anonymous

• FROG
    Anonymous

• FROG

what does that mean???
    Anonymous

• My grandparents had a similar situation. They didn't hire a lawyer, the 1st offer from insurance was 5k, they said they wanted more because they felt they weren't being fair. The next offer from insurance was 17k, which they took.
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 4:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• so your grandparents ASKED for more???? any suggestions on what excatly to say to the insurance company?
    Anonymous

• You have to get a lawyer if you want more money. An insurance company isn't going to give you more just because you whine or complain. Just find yourself a lawyer that doesn't require any money upfront and only makes money off of a percentage of your settlement.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009