Is it ok to wait to potty train my son until he is 2+?

My son is 21 months and I dont feel he is ready for potty training. I dont want to preassure him.

PiscesRooster

Asked by PiscesRooster at 3:28 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• See I had this same thought because everywhere you look they make it sound like kids should be potty training by two. I have now learned in my psychology class that waiting is best because it will take shorter on average if you wait till around 36 months.
    My daughter wanted to start at about two so we have been working at it, but only because she really wanted too and it has been a long hard road.
    ilovemybananer

Answer by ilovemybananer at 3:52 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• HELL YES!! I waited until my son was 3. He took to it like a fish to water because we waited. My mother pushed me though starting from when he was 1 1/2. All I would hear is "You were trained by two. You need to teach him." I was like I will when he understands. Boys take longer and I would rather wait and have no problems than struggle too early.
    heather_bee

Answer by heather_bee at 3:34 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I've always heard that children can't control themselves until 2 at the YOUNGEST. Potty training is tramatic so don't stress. =)
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 3:37 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Of course! Wait until he's ready. Just go with the flow and you'll both be a lot less stressed out!
    DisneylandMom

Answer by DisneylandMom at 3:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Of course. Pushing them will always backfire. I didn't even start with my son until after he turned 2.

My youngest daughter is 26 months and we haven't even started yet. She has no interest in potty training.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:42 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• YES! it is perfectly fine to wait until he is ready, if you push him it will just stress you both out and delay any progress. I waited till my son was 2 then we introduced the potty and at 26 month he told me no more diaper mommy and he hasnt worn one since!
    2littlemonkeys

Answer by 2littlemonkeys at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• Yes!!! Do not push him if he is not ready.It will benefit you both to wait.We pushed our now 5 year old and I think that is why she poops in her pants instead of the toilet.
    momofsixangels

Answer by momofsixangels at 3:50 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I think that you will know when he is ready, and I say that would be the best time to start lol.
    scrapbug

Answer by scrapbug at 4:06 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• I started training my son at 20 months because that's what I was told you were supposed to do and now I wish I had waited till he was a little older. He is now 3 1/2 and we are STILL training him. He wasn't ready at 20 months and we pushed it and now it's backfiring on us. I would definitely wait until he's at least 2.
    DevinAnnesmom

Answer by DevinAnnesmom at 4:13 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• we tried to train my daughter before she was even 2 and you know what shes almost 4 and finally potty trained. With an occasional accident here and there. I tell you what wait wait and wait. Potty training is like walking you cant rush it. My son will be two in july and I am going to wait till he is 3.
    Reankanesmom

Answer by Reankanesmom at 4:35 PM on Jun. 18, 2008