Can my 7 month old have whole grain pasta with tomato sauce?

I want to make some purees with pasta and am unsure if I can use tomato sauce. Also, what kinds of pasta are ok for 7 month olds? I know that wheat is supposed to wait until 12 months.

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 3:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as they have been tried on every ingredient before you start giving combinations you can do it. Ours were having the jarred combos by then and working on table foods (we weren't giving a whole lot of purees). I never heard of waiting until 12 months for wheat. It's in all kinds of baby foods already and we cleared everything with our pediatrician first. The boys were totally on table foods, eating everything we ate (with the exception of obvious possible allergens...peanuts, nuts, seafood, etc) by 9 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• yes just dont give him anyhting elses ncase he is allergic so you can pinpoint his allergy to what food. when my son was 4 months i pureed him beef stew, he loved it
    tattooedmomma23

Answer by tattooedmomma23 at 4:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes. Be aware that some babies can react to the acids in tomato sauce, so make sure you're using a well-cooked type. One thing that we do to cut the acid is put a little baking soda into the sauce while it's cooking....just a tiny bit!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• many people dont even waste their money on baby food puree. They simply cook healthy food and grind it for baby. Everything i buy revolves around my sons diet.
    But blue is right, as long as all ingredients are safe and you can pinpoint if an allergy arrives. Go with your instinct on everything. (and just no honey until 1 year.)

My grandmother gave my son mashed potatoes and gravy at 5 months. I was weary, but she is old school and he loved it!
    ethankaschsmom

Answer by ethankaschsmom at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I'd do it. My DD was eating spicy curry at that age.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009