Crock Pot & Meats

My family LOVES Roast! But other meats Ive tried always turn out nasty -kinda gummy/stick to your teeth, what am I doing wrong?
Ive tried turkey, chicken fajita & pork - they all turned out too soft & gummy like.

Id really love to find a few great recipes to fix for those busy summer days!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 3:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Also, you might want to throw them in frozen and cook it on low for 8 hours. Then it works better.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I have found that if I am going to cook meat in the crockpot that if I cook them in whole pieces that they have a better texture. Like put the whole chicken breast in and then cut at the end. If I am making something like fajitas, I cook the meat in big pieces and cut them before serving.
    Hope it helps.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• or you can pan sear them for about 2 minutes on each side to get a little brown. that will seal in the juices & they come out so tender you can use a fork to separate them.

when i do a roast in the crock pot i put the veggies on the bottom then pan sear the meat. i set the meat on top of the veggies. then i add a small amount of water to the frying pan to loosen the drippings, add those to the meat & veggies. the veggies get soft & taste great from the meat being on top.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 11:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• For a y ummy pork roast in the crock pot: Sear a 3-4 lb pork shoulder roast in a hot skillet til browned on all sides. In the crock pot, put 4 potatoes cut in half length wise, and however many carrots you want along with a quartered onion. Place the pork roast on top of the vegetables. Pour 1 cup of chicken stock over the pork and vegetables. Season with your favorite seasoning (we like cajun) and cook on low for 8-10 hours. It always comes out fork tender for me and everyone loves it.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:05 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• I love to use my crockpot! I am trying a Mediterranean stew with poached eggs today. I also make Lentil sloppy joes, chili, soup, stew with dumplings, Indian curries.
    If you would like recipes, just send me a note!

Answer by rkoloms at 11:26 AM on Jun. 2, 2009