Christians-What do you think of denominations other than your own?

I'm just curious. My mom is a non-denom Christian. She's pretty much by-the-book when it comes to Christianity, except she believes that Jesus was married and so on and so forth. She thinks my grandparents (her parents) are a little cuckoo because they're primitive Baptists (dress up for church, no piano or other instruments).

So do you accept the views of other denominations, or do you think they're 'wrong' for not believing exactly what you do?

(I personally think it's weird that someone could say someone else of THEIR religion is wrong, but whatever.)

caitxrawks

Asked by caitxrawks at 3:52 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think they are all striving towards the same goal. Religions are like children, each one is different is what makes them great. There are so many religions because there are so many different people with different beliefs. I don't think that is a bad thing.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 3:57 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• As long as they believe God sent Jesus to die on the cross for us and believe that only through him we can go to heaven, then that's all that matters to me.
    Anonymous

• Good for them! God bless them all!
    mo2a27

Answer by mo2a27 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I do not judge a church by the sign out front. My mom is pentecostal and has recently started going to a baptist church and adores it. People have preferences in every thing they do, as far as music, some like to rock the house, some like the old fashion gospel, others choose to have no music just their voices. I think that where ever you are being fulfilled in your walk with God is where you need to be. That is why i think people should try out different churches before making an all over observation that church is boring, it may be that, that church is boring to you, but not all. I try to not judge any one, if they are truly seeking God and are wrong in their walk he will show them, or he just may show me that I am wrong through them.
    MaryJane849

Answer by MaryJane849 at 4:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• For me, it is a personal thing. I am Non-denom Christian. I read the Bible. I believe that my relationship with Jesus is what matters. There are plenty of 'branches' of Christianity. I have no clue who is right and who is wrong. My personal belief is that what God requires of me is not necessarily what He requires of someone else. We are all at a different place in our relationsip with Him. So who am I to say who is right or wrong? Ya know? That (to me) would be claiming to know all that God knows, and I certainly only know what He wants (or doesn't want) in MY life.
    theyareallmine

Answer by theyareallmine at 4:31 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I align most with liberal Christians and Quakers, but dislike being boxed in by a specific religion.  I personally think that every person has a different path to the truth so I have no problem with denominations.    

Regarding Jesus being married, I saw that on the Da Vinci Code and have come to the conclusion that it really doesn't change much for me.  His words are powerful regardless, and he has opened up a part of me that I never knew existed.  

logansmomma2007

Answer by logansmomma2007 at 4:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I am Primitive Baptist. You don't mention any fear on the part of your grandparents for your mom's salvation. That is what I would expect. Is there any estrangement between them? Is that why you ask? Primitive Baptists have very old practice standards but we do not worry about salvation for others. We don't believe church practice or anything else people do here on earth affects their salvation.
    As for what I think of other denominations, I do think our church comes closest to the truth as far as the bible is concerned, but that's just normal. If I didn't think that I would go somewhere else. I am so opinionated and take things so seriously, if I thought I could be instrumental in others' salvation, I would feel responsible for others possibly burning in Hell and I would be impossible to be around.
    callmeann

Answer by callmeann at 4:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• As for what I think of other denominations, I do think our church comes closest to the truth as far as the bible is concerned, but that's just normal. If I didn't think that I would go somewhere else.

I agree with this. I also think that most denominations of Christianity have fundamental elements of truth about who Jesus is and about the nature of God that should be adhered to, no matter what differences of interpretation may arise Biblically.

clairandamjones

Answer by clairandamjones at 5:24 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My mom was Protestant and ran the church fair. She used to send me across the street to see what they were selling at the Catholic Fair. I thought it was wierd with the confessionals and incense. Now I just think all religion is wierd.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 6:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• To answer the question... IMO, if a person believes that Jesus was the son of God, died on the cross for our sins, and that through Him we are redeemed, then I consider them my brothers and sisters.
    As for your mom believing Jesus was married...she has been misled. It was not mentioned in the Bible, and I'm quite certain it would have been if it had happened. Jesus wasn't married because He had a very specific mission here on Earth. He came to fulfill prophesy and die for our sins. He didn't marry and have children because those decendants would have been worshipped by His followers. Tell your mom, or whomever is teaching this false doctrine, to stop taking the DaVinci Code as fact. It is a fictional story and does not hold up to scrutiny the way the Bible does.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 6:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009