Flying with an infant?

I am going to be flying with my 4 month old dd the end of June. Does anyone have advice for flying with an infant? Can you check the whole travel system (Graco car seat and stroller) at the gate or do you have to check them with the baggage? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. This will be her first flight and I'm flying by myself!

rebeccasmommy09

Asked by rebeccasmommy09 at 3:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Travel

• I would take the stroller to the gate. We traveled with our second baby when he was 5 months. We took the stroller right to the gate with us, it was so much easier. We kept his carseat with it because we were worried they would loose it and we wouldn't have a carseat. Be aware though that you have to take the baby out of the stroller and put the stroller on the conveyor belt so it can get xrayed. I would also consider buying a stroller bag, we were so glad that we did. Our stuff came back and the bag was sooo dirty, I don't know if they drug it through a mudpuddle or what.
    I would pack super light for your carry on, I would just bring a small bag with your travel documents and a couple of diapers, small thing of wipes, a pacifier, and a couple of small toys. Especially if you are traveling alone and have to manage everything by yourself.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Gatecheck the stroller and use the carseat on the plane. In case of extreme tubulence, a lap baby can become a projectile.
    A baby backpack makes getting around the airport so much easier; we never travelled with a stroller.

Answer by rkoloms at 10:30 AM on Jun. 2, 2009

• You can bring an umbrella stroller to the gate but everything else will have to be checked in with luggage. When I traveled with my 2 month old I found giving her tylenol 1 hour before take off, I had 1 diaper, 1 pack of wipes, 1 binky, 1 bottle of formula and some bibs and an outfit to change into all in a small lil bag that I kept under the seat in front and put my huge back pack with all the supplies in the over head. Change the baby's diaper just before u get onto the plane and use huggies overnight diapers, this way when they pee u dont have to change it. Only when they poop. I used a baby sling which made it so much easier getting on and off the plane, also when they are sleeping on the plane u have both hands free to eat or drink. Which reminds me, eat before you get on the plane because with a baby on your lap u have no room to put down the tray for food or for a drink.
    kirsty_mcgrail

Answer by kirsty_mcgrail at 6:53 PM on Jun. 2, 2009