my 5 1/2 month olds eyes twitch back and forth very fast 40% of the time she is awake. It's to the point where strangers ask, "whats wrong with her?" I'm really worried. I have a doctors appointment Wed. Anyone has any idea whats going on with my little girl?

brzlngoddess

Asked by brzlngoddess at 4:01 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possibly nystagmus...
    http://www.allaboutvision.com/conditions/nystagmus.htm

She needs to be seen by an opthmologist, preferably one specializing in children. You may be able to find on e on this website:
    www.InfantSee.org
    You can also find info about having her evaluated for free. All children in the United States are eligible for a free eye exam before their first birthday just so problems like this can be found and corrected before permanent damage is done.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Thank u so much. NOw im super worried I went to the 1st website and it says that it can be a tumor... and it can affect the rest of her life. :(
    brzlngoddess

Answer by brzlngoddess at 4:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Calm.... it may be nothing. It may be something. You noticed a problem and are doing what you can to find out what it is and to get her help. Also remember, websites usually stress the "MIGHTS and COULDS"... not the "USUALLYS and MOSTS".

Sorry I added to your worry. I hope all turns out well.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My son has the same issue. Was you daughter early? My son it now 2 and the issue is starting to correct itself. He was to the point where in order to see straight he has to turn his head to the side in order to stop his eyes from twitching. We have been seeing a pediatric eye doctor for the last 2 years and she is keeping an eye on him. The issue is beginning to correct itself, but he is not out of the woods yet. My son was 2 months early, but it's not a definate that is prematurity caused but but there is a chance. In my son's case the muscle that hold his eyes straight are weak, so he compensate by looking to the side to see clearly. If the problem presists he will need surgery, but thankfully it looks like it is getting better. Just stay calm and see what the doctor has to say. If you would ike to "talk" just message me.
    twinmommy416

Answer by twinmommy416 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hey love. The first woman is most likely correct. I work for an ophthalmologist and nystagmus is a relatively common condition. Don't let websites freak you out. Just remember the internet is not a physician (I also have to tell myself that from time to time). Each person is different. Each case is different. I'm going to keep checking this post for updates. Let us know how your sweet baby is doing. I'll keep you all in my prayers!
    shaelynsmom416

Answer by shaelynsmom416 at 8:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes, Natalyanna was born 2 1/2 months early. So maybe that has something to do with it. Also, I was on methadone the whole time I was pregnant. I pray that had nothing to do with it, I won't ever forgive myself if it does. She has a doctors appointment tomorrow at 10:15. I'm not too confident about this appointment though, I have mentioned this to her pediatrician during the last 2 visits and she said nothing. I printed out an article on nystagmus to bring with to the appointment. I think I need to make an appointment with an eye doctor. I pray that this problems doesn't worsen and corrects itself. Please keep Natalyanna in your prayers. Thanks.
    brzlngoddess

Answer by brzlngoddess at 3:46 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Good luck! I wish you the best of luck. Seeing an eye doctor is probably the best idea. Do you remember if she saw one when she was in the NICU. In my area they had me follow up with them. If you saw one see if you can find their name, they would have her records already.
    twinmommy416

Answer by twinmommy416 at 6:08 PM on Jun. 2, 2009

• Natalyanna and I just got back from her doctors appointment. Turns out she has Nystagmus. Her Pediatrician recommended a peds eye doctor for me to take her to. I called and made an appointment, its not until Aug. 24 though!! Her doctor also said that it usually gets better with age. Her eye muscle is weak/not fully developed due to her being born 2 1/2 months early. She also said that RARELY it turns out to be because of a tumor. Ack, now I have to wait until LATE August. She highly recommended this doctor that's why im choosing to wait, PLUS they accept our insurance.
    Thanks everyone for caring!

Michaela and Natalyanna
    brzlngoddess

Answer by brzlngoddess at 12:22 PM on Jun. 3, 2009