Anyone else in a interracial marriage...Are your cultural differences a strain on your marriage?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Relationships

• I am Korean and my husband is Caucasian. Cultural differences-- no. My husband is very open to exploring and learning about my culture. In fact, we are adopting a Korean child, and my husband has been enthusiastic about learning the language and culture to help teach our child.

The biggest problem we face is racism. We see issues on race and racism very differently. He doesn't perceive much of a problem, and when racism does occur, he sees it as an anomoly. I see it as an underlying issue, and have been subjected to racism on several occassions. However, we end up having very lively discussions on the issues, and have both learned a great deal on each other's perspectives.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 4:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes,,I am white,and my DH is black..No, to the second Q.I wouldn't be married to him if it was.

Answer by louise2 at 4:20 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Yes. I am white and my husband is black. At first it was really hard because my family wouldn't meet him for 4 years. Then, when we got engaged everything changed. Family realized that they should be happy if I am happy. We still face people who look down on us now, especially with a child, but we laugh it off. It's what you have to do when you love someone so much and can't be without them. Our family backgrounds are very similar though, so we didn't have too many problems with that part.
    Anonymous

• Im white DH is hispanic...no differences. he's pretty much a white boy lol=)
    Anonymous