Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Husbands ex-wife is not following the Shared Parenting decree in effect, what should we do?

For the first year we took care of the kids because she was not financially stable, but had enough money to go out all the time. (she got evicted, and even ran up bills that she is not taking care of, in my husbands name) She never came around, nor did she really call. I made all appointments for doctors and so on, I was pregnant during this time and she never volunteered to help, or would help when asked.
Now she is living with a man, who she just had a baby with, he does not step up what so ever, and now we are keeping the kids on her weeks because she is unable again to take care of them again financially. What should I do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 4:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Relationships

Answers (6)
  • go back to court and file for custody if you want....she needs to stop having kids.

    Answer by Anonymous at 4:27 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • Keep the kids. They deserve a stable home and obviously she is not willing to provide that for her children, but you are showing character and a willingness to be a good example for them by doing so.

    Answer by kemclaughlin at 4:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • I was in your shoes 3 years ago. I couldn't handle 2 step kids + my own. It got out of hand & when ex husband continued to be an ass, I left. I was not going to be someones door mat. But, i understand you. I was taking care of HER kids 24/7. There was nothing i could do about it, but either leave, or deal. Her place was dangerous for the kids though in many ways, so it was hard for me to even LET them EVER go over there. Just hang in there. She will miss her kids eventually, & her baby wont always be a new born. You can never be sure about her boyfriend either, be cautious of who the kids are hanging with.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • It's great that you guys are stepping up to the plate, specially you since you're not their bio mom, I think it's great! Well what would your hubby want to do, has he mentioned anything to you. It sounds like he would have grounds to file for sole custody since she is not financially able to take care of those kids. good luck

    Answer by LuvmyFam6 at 6:18 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • i would ask her to sign for full custody since she can't take care of them. it will ease lots of trouble in the long run. and before you walk, consider, if you were pregnant and you had twins, would you walk then? i think you married him for better or worse. this sounds like a little of the worse.

    Answer by princezzmommie at 9:35 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

  • I'd talk to a lawyer find out what your rights are. Maybe she could sign the children over to you/hubs? If she is supposed to pay support you could try going after her for failure to pay... I hope things work out- good luck!

    Answer by MizLee at 10:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in Relationships
sexual issues

Next question overall (Trying to Conceive)
Should I test tomorrow?