Where are all of the jobs?

With GM announcing it's bankruptcy and permanant layoffs, and with the speculation that GM vehicles will be produced outside the US, are all of those union workers going to move to Mexico or wherever they decide to set up camp? If companies move to ther countries to continue production, they can avoid paying cap and trade fees, so it doesn't really clean the environment up, it just moves the polution to other countries. Does that make us hypocrites, that we can say we are living clean while messing up other country's environments?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Pretty much! Few people will move themselves and their families...maybe managers/directors and VPs will move, but companies like GM are going to continue to move outside the US, so they can hire people for a FRACTION of what employees in the US are paid...with a FRACTION of the benefits, pensions, and not having to abide by "union work rules" to have to abide by--as other countries pay their labor forces pittances compared to the US!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Go to China I am sure you will find a job.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:50 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• they can avoid paying cap and trade fees,

Cap and trade is a big scam, anyways.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 5:25 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• OP here. I agree mustbeGRACE. Cap and trade is a scam and I just wonder if others see it as American hypocrisy (as a country, not as individuals). So I can carry my fabric reusable bags into the grocery store to save a few plastic bags, but the fact that I am buying goods that were produced in other countries where the pollution is destroying their environment, without impunity, that by it's very nature will make me a hypocrite.

I hate the direction this administration is taking us. Where are the real reformers?  Obama is just more of the same (I didn't vote for him).  I didn't agree with everything Bush did, but I felt safer than I do right now. 

Anonymous

• First people say "let GM go under", now everyone is complaining because they have to cut jobs to survive. What did you honestly think was going to happen? They are going to do what they have to do to save the company and the jobs they can afford to keep. Period. It's called capitalism - they are going to send the work where they can get it at the cheapest price so they make a profit.
    If you want to buy American, you need to be prepared to pay a higher price so jobs stay in America. If you are not willing to do that, then don't be surprised the companies move operations to Mexico or overseas.

Anonymous

• Anon :52, you completely missed the point. The point is, that this is what makes our country hypocrites. We say one thing and then do another. I wanted GM to file bankruptcy before getting a bailout. I didn't want taxpayer money to go into a company that was going to file Chapter 11 the entire time. The only thing the bailout did was give GM free money that now, because of bankruptcy protection, they don't have to pay back. It's a big fat f*ck-you from the Obama administration to each and every taxpayer.

And please, enlighten me why a vehicle made here in this country costs more than an import? Perhaps it's the costs associated with the unions? So the only reason our products cost us more is because the unions demand it. The unions and the Obama administration are effectively killing capitalism. 

Anonymous

• anon:25

Why are you saying car made in U.S is more expensive then foreign car? I don't  think Merzedes,Audi,BWM are cheaper then U.S made cars.

Anonymous

• Well here is the change people voted for, tremendous spending and no jobs. Blame those who voted for this creep.
    Scorpio359

Answer by Scorpio359 at 8:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• scorpio

Stop blaming the President only. There are states were jobs are waiting.People are just making excuses.

Anonymous

• Why are you saying car made in U.S is more expensive then foreign car? I don't think Merzedes,Audi,BWM are cheaper then U.S made cars.

I am talking about Japanese cars that we allow foreign car makers to build in our country.  Obviously, this is to our benefit as it employs our citizens, however they seem to have avoided the heavy hand that the unions in the north have been saddled with.  Japanese cars are actually comparably priced, however those foreign car companies are able to turn a profit, whereas GM was losing money hand over fist.  It doesn't take a mental giant to see that they were headed to bankruptcy regardless of bailout money.  Their whole organization has to change for them to survive, and due to the Obama administration and the UAW, real reform of the American Auto industry won't happen.  If you own Gm stock, SELL IT!

Anonymous