swollen ankles

im 31 weeks pregnant!! whats causing the swelling in my ankles? i never had it with the first pregnancy?? i also have really really bad sun burn could this have caused the swelling?

mum2oneandabit

Asked by mum2oneandabit at 4:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I don't believe thr burn has anything to do with it. Secondly they say ever pregnancy is different even with the same woman. Have you tried drinking more water and cutting out salt/pop? Thats what they made me do and I swelled so bad that I went on bedrest.
    HolliBerry21

Answer by HolliBerry21 at 4:36 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My ankles swell after I've been on my feet for a while. Just go easy on salt and prop your feet up above heart-level for a while. It's just water retention. However, if your ankles, hands and face are swollen, and you feel dizzy, have headaches or see spots you need to go to a doctor. Those are signs of preclampsia and can be very serious.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:39 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I don't drink pop and they told me to add more salt as i was getting extremly bad leg cramps.

my ankles are actually sore there that swollen and there turning a funny shade of blue ive had left higher than my hear since 3 this after noon but they seem to be getting worse ??

any thoughts
    mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 4:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hmm, they shouldn't be turning blue. You can call the labor and delivery area of your hospital and explain it to them. They're usually pretty good about answering my questions. It may be something you need to go in for.
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• thank you!
    i'll phone them now! im there tommorrow anyway
    mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 4:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You're most welcome. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Good luck!
    renea20

Answer by renea20 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• no problem, they've told me to get them even higher drink plenty of water and see the doctor tommorrow! got my measuresments for such a tiny bump :)
    mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 4:51 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I've had swelling for the first time with this pregnancy (this is my 4th) and I'm 32 weeks. I know being in the heat can make the swelling worse. Also try soaking your feet in cold water, that seems to help me some.
    jombmomi

Answer by jombmomi at 4:54 PM on Jun. 1, 2009