Should I let my baby sleep in each morning?

He is 16 months old. Sleeps through the night. Goes to bed at 7:00-7:30pm and will sleep well into the morning until sometimes 9:30 or 10:00. so sometimes he is eating breakfast at 10:30 in the morning.

Doesnt ever mess up his 1:00 nap in the noon. But could his sleeping in be making him groggy as it does adults often?
I know it is normal for him to sleep alot and more and more as he grows..it just seems a little excessive.

ethankaschsmom

Asked by ethankaschsmom at 4:37 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My LO is the same age and has the same sleeping pattern. It works for us, so I will not change it. His brothers have bedtime at about 8pm and they get up earlier, so I will not change his bed time to later. I wouldn't worry about it.
    I don't think he will sleep too much. His little body knows what it needs. If you are truly worried call his ped.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 4:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• try getting him up earlier and doing fun things so he doesnt notice as much then maybe he'll have a early afternoon nap!! he could just be on a growth spurt .. or does he do this all the time?

phoebe (my 2 years old0 sometimes goes to bed at 8-00 get up at 10-00 the following morning and is back asleep again for 12-30 and doesn't wake up till 4-00 then is back in bed for 8-00 this can last several days then she refused to sleep at all~!!

mum2oneandabit

Answer by mum2oneandabit at 4:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• well if it seems to work fine, maybe playing through the day makes him extra tired. not sure it does seem a little long 16 hours a little long! i would honestly start waking him up around like 15 minutes before and gradually start waking him up at 8? seems ok to me? thats alot of sleep, i think 8 will be enough rest and maybe a smaller nap than usual?
    NewLady1

Answer by NewLady1 at 4:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• My daughter sleeps about 8:30-6:30/7:00. Then she takes a two hour nap and a half hour "power nap". She is 15 months old. Most children around this age still need about 13 hours of sleep a day. So if he gets 12 hours of sleep at night, then even a two hour nap, that is 14 hours. Not really too much compared to what is recommended.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:23 PM on Jun. 1, 2009