Why would you not let your child spend the night with someone?Spinoff

I mean, if you a good friends with a family...why not let your kids spend the night with their kids? And their kids scome stay at your house? Uh...Everyone I know personally got to stay at friends houses growing up and now their kids do. I just can't fathom not letting them. That seems a bit overprotective.

I am anonymous beecause I know how passionate some Mommas can get.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:56 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• Personally, I never know whose kid is gonna show up at my door. I have an open door policy with my kids friends and their parents and they know that on the weekends, they are welcome to show up on the school bus and stay all weekend as long as their parents know where they are. During the summer, if my daughter wants someone to spend the night, we go to their house, or call them on the phone and ask. If I am friends with the parents, and the kids are friends, I see no reason they shouldn't spend time together.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 5:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• OP: I am the same way, but, on the other post...they were pretty much adamant that they were against it.
    Anonymous

• So long as I know the kids and I know the parents, I have no concerns with it. I would really rather the children be in my home, but again, if I know the parents, I have no qualms with letting my children stay with friends. My house growing up was like Kustomkrochet's is now. All of our friends (there were 3 of us) were over all the time. During the summer, holiday vacations, and weekends, my mother would cook triple portions so that everyone would have enough to eat. And we never had left overs. My parents figured they would rather have all the kids there and know what was happening, then out somewhere making up lies to cover what they were doing. That's how my husband and I see it too. He had a friend who's house was the hang out place and he hopes that our kids will have the same in our home.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Personally I think it's weird and unhealthy to keep your kids away from that experience. I don't really understand it either.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Wow, you ladies have such a big heart. Your neighbors and friends must be really luck. I wish their were more like you. I still have babies, but when they grow up, i want them to be able to go to their friends house and have their friends come here. Its part of growing up.
    Anonymous

• OP:Well, I'm happy there are others like me.... Cavalrybaby02. I thought I was going crazy.
    Anonymous

• I just answered on the other post also. I do understand the fear and anxiety of letting your child go to a sleepover. I don't really understand why they don't want family sleepovers. I am from an area where we have a lot of military (USCG and US Navy) families coming and going constantly. These parents seem like good people, but I have no way of knowing anything about their ways of parenting or anything about their past history. I am guessing they are not serial killers since they are graciously serving our country, but it's still scary having a grade schooler going off with strangers, but that's JMO.
    4kidz916

Answer by 4kidz916 at 6:45 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I would let my kids go to sleepovers but my DH would not. He was abused repeatedly in exactly that situation by a trusted family member and he won't allow it for our kids. It's radically changed the course of his whole life. I can't say I blame him.

Kids are welcome in our home though.

Anonymous

• The other question was about children 2 and 4. Most kids aren't having friends sleep over at age 2.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 7:04 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Two year olds are quite young, unless its family. For a two year old to spend the nite, i'd call that baby sitting. LOL Four year olds can have fun spending the nite with friends. It can be fun, as long as the other child is taught to be respectful and is learning nice manners. I had plenty of really rough children, rude, cry-babies, etc. that I did NOT enjoy as guests.

As far as my children being allowed to spend the nite, I had to know the family well. I had to know their basic family values as far as movies, games, computer time, tv shows, language and if they are boys, how they treat the sisters. Really, it wasn't a big deal. It was a simple decision of how well I knew the family.

lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009