What do you think about harnesses for toddlers???

I have a 15 month old and she likes to wonder off when im looking at something or am busy. i dont like to keep her in a buggy or anything she can walk. so would it be wroung to put one on her???

tylersbaby85

Asked by tylersbaby85 at 5:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• They make them for just that reason! There's nothing wrong with keeping your child safe, so if a harness fits the bill, go get one! Personally, my DS loved his monkey harness; he knew that he wasn't going to have to sit or hold my hand. And it's great when you're digging in your purse for something. It's also great in crowds.

Don't let anyone tell you not to "Put your child on a leash"
    Just keep them safe.
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 5:07 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• IMO, they are for animals only. I don't care how cute they make them look.
    Anonymous

• I like them. We went through DFW International Airport and that place is crowded and I had a stroller, diaper bag, personal item, car seat, and my carry on in addition to DD. So if she wanted out of her stroller she absolutely had to be in her harness. We were in the air port on stand by so running from one in to another for 5 hours and it just wasn't fair to keep her in the stroller after a 3 hour plane ride. I got so many compliments from people who worked at the air port. They said they get so many lost toddlers all the time they wish more parents would use these.
    MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• what ev my 15 month old is doing that thing now where he doesnt want to hold my hand when hes walking and he freaks if we try to put him in his stroller. he knows how to walk now and thats all he wants to do! im about to have another baby and i cant imagine how else im gonna be able to let the oldest one walk and try to struggle with the littler baby at the same time, so i am definately getting one. my husband thinks its like a leash or whatever but hey, until someone can give me a better idea, monkey harness, here i come!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:12 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• There is no where in my town that would warrant the use of one, but we are getting one for our summer trip to the malls before school this year. Last year, my daughter was only 5 months old when we went. This year though, she will be old enough to walk around a bit. We didn't go when my son was that little. The whole point of going now is school shopping. So this will really be the first time we have had the experience to use one. And we are going to. I cannot carry her around, and I doubt she will sit in a stroller the entire time without a fuss.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 5:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• They can be useful.

When out shopping though, your best bet is simply to strap her into the shopping cart seat. You can give her a sippy cup of water and a small healthy snack to keep her busy. Then you can shop and look all you want without worrying about her running off, getting lost, yanking things off the shelves, or getting the leash tangled around you or other shoppers.

And don't let her ride in the basket. Kids can tumble out of the basket so easily - ending in permanent damage or even death - even when you are standing 2 feet away. There is a reason for the warning notice on every shopping cart.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• haha- if my son wants out of the cart -he wants OUT NOW!~!! he loves to help push the cart - luckily he likes to hold my hand too - but I do know I am lucky in that area and I knwo if we were to go to a fair or anything like htat, I would buy one
    Anonymous

• I can't stand when people compare them to a leash and act like that is somehow a bad thing. Why do we put our dogs on leashes?? Because, we don't want them to run away. So what is wrong with using a harness on our toddler for the same reason?? Both are being protected, right? So what's the problem? My son having a harness to keep him near by and safe does not make him a dog. Some kids do not tolerate the stroller or shopping cart, and in our case, my son is too short and I'm tall so it really doesn't work to just hold his hand (not that he'd let me anyway!). Do what works best for you, and don't worry about what the people who apparently have perfect children say.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 6:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think that you need to teach your child to walk beside you. I think that if you want to teach a toddler to do that, you MUST use a harness / wrist leash / something. They can dart in an instant, and this is a backup. I think it'd be lazier to leave the child in the cart for the next 2 years, or strapped into a stroller. We used one for about 2 months, and now my 2 year old is pretty good with it. I may go back to it in the grocery store. It's a backup for us only. If she darts, she can only get so far. She must hold my hand or the cart.
    apexmommy

Answer by apexmommy at 6:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• First of all, they are NOT leashes. They are called harnesses. I think they are helpful, especially if you have a child that like to dash into the street, or run from you in a crowded place.
    Anonymous