scared about a c section

my oldest son is 15 months, and im pregnant for the second time, due in 9 weeks. my dr and pretty much everyone else in my life is begging me just to accept my fate and schedual another c section but i am really hoping for a v back. i am scared to death to get another c section! ive never had a schedualed ANYthign befor, let alone a schedualed major surgery and i have no idea how to cope with the idea of it. all i can do is remember all the bad parts from the last time! any advise? how to avoid another c section/prepare myself for another c section?

disheveled

Asked by disheveled at 5:05 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all, you need to find a doctor that supports you trying to have a VBAC. Just be firm and insist on trying naturally first.
    There's a discussion on VBAC in the Daily Buzz today
    motherofanaries

Answer by motherofanaries at 5:10 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• well ive talked to her about it several times, and she says she will let me have one but i have to fit all these criteria. like i cant be induced, i have to progress very rapidly, blah blah. she is worried cuz my last baby was almost 10lbs so she thinks this one will be too. but since she is worried it makes my husband worried and so on. ill check out the story though thanks!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Switch to a Midwife, switch to a midwife, switch to a midwife, switch to a midwife!!!!! Don't let the doc scare you in to accepting another c-section, most c-sections in this country are medically unfounded and are done for the doctors convenience and legal protection. If you sign a waiver before they operate on you you can't sue them if something goes terribly wrong. A second c-section is more dangerous than a vbac, do the research! As for how to prepare: get to know your body, learn to check your own cervix, ask your doc or midwife to assess you bishop's score, do keagles and other childbirth exercises,

lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:16 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• and NEVER accept induction, early breaking of the waters, or any other interventions, unless you really truely would be putting you and your baby in danger by not doing so. Onyly you can be your own medical advocate, so do your research on when intervention really is needed. You can do this!!!! It's never too late to switch to a midwife, and I highly recommend doing so, or a c-section is imminent.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• just for fear of the need for an emergency c section i would be too afraid to switch to a midwife, but i have thoght about switching drs. this is the same dr as i had last time but she seems so...unconcerned about things that seems important to me, like unstable glucose levels (im hypoglycemic) and overly worried about other things, like vbac. oh and i almost bled out with the c section the first time so that worries me too. last time i had to be induced cuz i was 8 days overdue and not dialating. and then after 22 hours or so i got to 10cm and pushed for 2 hours and nothing still. then the dr on call made me have an emergency c section due to infection (which my son didnt end up having after all).
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 5:32 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I think you should probably listen to your doctor. If you liked her last time around, but this time she seems "unconcerned with things you are concerned about" maybe thats becuase you don't need to be as concerned as you are about those particular things. I know lots of people who have had repeat C-sections and everyone says the second one is easier. My first was awful and the weeks after were filled with infection and my mom taking care of my daughter instead of me cuz I couldn't move and it was pretty much horrible. But I will be having another one in January when the one I'm carrying now is ready. And this time I know excactly what to expect. I will know how I can move and how I can't and what to watch for so that I can actually get myself back to the doc if I get another infection that needs treated etc. its unltimatly your choice and one that you should happy with. But if she was a good doc last time she still is
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 5:43 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Listen I just had my first (emergency) section 7 weeks ago and i totally understand your fears sweetie-it sucked. But my concern for you is, they make you meet the criteria because if you dont your uterus can rupture and can you imagine the pain of THAT? I have nothing against midwives at all , but when it come to a medical question you need to find a doctor you trust and one that will also help ease your fearws about pain management. Instead of fighting it, why not brainstorm how your pain can be handled this time around? Yu know whats coming so maybe the being prepared will help?Mrsbvader is 100% correct, educate yourself or remind yourself of how to move, what meds to ask for, and think about the good things that will come in the end.If I had to go thru my horrid experience again to have this precious baby hell yes...in a heartbeat. :o) be brave mama and good luck.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:53 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• You can still have a hospital birth with a midwife, and have lots of emergency back up available.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 6:44 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• also... lots of pain meds, and an epidural if you want one.
    lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 6:46 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I just had a repeat csection. My DD weighed 6 lbs 15oz at birth and after an induced labor due to preeclampsia and 26 hours of labor I had an emergency section. For my DS who I just had I was all for a VBAC till a week before I had hime during an US they measured him at almost 9 pounds. I had been in and out of L&D for a month contracting constanly and regularly but only dialted to a 1. I made the choice to have a repeat section. Right before I went in for surgery the DR asked for sure if I wanted the repeat section or try VBAC. I have to tell you my midwife assisted with the surgery and she even told me afterwards I would not have been able to deliver vaginally and would have ended up with a csection anyway. If there is a reason that the DR is saying to do a section I would listen to their reasoning. They want healthy mom and baby. Good Luck also my son weighed 8lbs 14.5oz. Repeat much easier than the first to heal
    newmommy61207

Answer by newmommy61207 at 6:48 PM on Jun. 1, 2009