How do i get my 3 year old and 2 year old to start using the potty?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:40 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in General Parenting

• For boys, let them stand outside the bathroom door while you use the toilet, then bring them in and let them sit or stand for just a couple of min looking like you are busy cleaning , & then send them back out to play reminding them to come in if they need to.

Remember, that going to the bathroom is not a trick. Its something as natural & normal as eating & sleeping. When it becomes a trick and treats are needed in order to perform, then it becomes something more like trouble. A child that is old enough and is able should want to stay dry on their own.

Always whisper nice things in their ears like, "I'm so glad that you are a big girl like mommy now.", smile and always be positive, but there will be a time or a day when you can't and won't have treats, tricks, stickers, or money to convince a child to do something natural.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:33 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• make them try to use it by sitting for a short story every 2 hours. reward trying and then when they start to go reward going to the bathroom. my son had to run around w/ no bottoms or undies for a few days before he understood how going to the bathroom biologically happens so that does help. my son also had an advestion to pooing on the pot and we had to get him a big reward for that. every kid is different and i think it truly takes 6m-1 yr before you are trained and accident free... at least in my experiences. good luck. have patience. see the humor in it if you can.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 5:58 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• I was taught my one of the wisest and oldest practicing ped. in the world, Dr. Leila Denmark, who incidently developed the whooping cough vaccine. She taught the parents of her patients to begin one morning by putting reg. underwear on them, saying that "Today we are going to be big like mommy and daddy."

Then each time you go to the bathroom, be sure and take them with you, gently calling them, making little mention and to-do about the event. For girls, take them in the bathroom while you use the toilet and then without any mention, simply put them on the toilet, and wait just a min. or 2, looking busy so not to make a big deal about it. Whether they go or not, take them down and send them back out to play but say "Now I know that you don't want to wet your under panties so be sure and come in when you need to go."

cont....
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:26 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Have you ever wondered how people in countries with dirt floors and lots of children with no diapers or pants on, don't have piddle and poo on them? They teach potty training from birth. And its treated as something natural and normal. Not a trick. :) Hope this gives you some ideas and makes it much much simpler for you. Good luck!
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 7:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009