Why are people so afraid of the possiblity of success?

I talk to so many people that are literally afraid that they could succeed. People that are doing great with their businesses but want to have a JOB... Or people that see the value in business but would rather wait tables... I really don't get it. IMO it's better to work hard for 5 years or even 10... And then quit and live off your business than it is to work hard for the rest of your life and still not have anything to retire on.

Or, am I wrong?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 5:42 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Money & Work

• Success is measured differently by different people. I was recently offered a big manager job but I don't want the stress. I rather make sacrifices and live a simple life. For me, success is finding serenity in my life. Some people work so hard for a good retirement but don't even live that long. I say live one day a time.
    Anonymous

• A lot of times they want the security. Which is funny in today's economy, there is NO job security, no matter what field you are in. Some also would rather have someone else tell them what to do because it is easier.  You have to be brave to work for yourself.  Those are the only ones I am looking for right now. 

Anonymous

• I believe if we could gurantee those same people that success was assured in 5-10 years, they'd do as you suggest and go for it...grow their businesses and leave the 'rat race'! But you can't make that gurantee AND some of us are wired to work for the majority of our lives. And in our work, we experience a different kind of success (high productivity, family stability, balnce, etc.).

The fear of risk isn't a bad thing. Fear gets a bad rap. It is the human mechanism that tells me that there is a level of discomfort that threatens our survivability. In some cases, we press through it and find 'gold' at the end of the rainbow. In many cases, people who are afraid of what YOU call success, are better off without it. Material gain isn't a good end...it is only a good means to some better end.
    Angebor

Answer by Angebor at 6:13 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• It's called fish bowl syndrome, it's a natural line of defense although staying in our comfort zone can greatly effect our comfort later in life.
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:11 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• There is security is having others responsible for P&L, making sure the rent is paid and teh benefits package is in place. Not everyone is cut out to be an entrepreneur.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:14 PM on Jun. 1, 2009