Would he be able to be there?

My husband is getting tested today to see if he has cancer. And if he does his immune system would me messed up from the treatment. We are about to have our first baby in July and im wondering if he would be able to be there and be around the baby if he has no immune system from the treatment. Does anyone know? Has anyone ever been through this? My DH thinks that he wont be able to be in the room for the delivery and wont be able to be around our baby.

Shelii

Asked by Shelii at 5:47 PM on Jun. 1, 2009 in Pregnancy

• The only issue I can possible see is if you have to have a c-section and your husband is sick during that time. If you have a vaginal birth, I'm almost certain the doctors will have no problem with your husband being in the room for delivery since there isn't a high risk of infection, like there is during a c-section. Either way, if he only has a compromised immune system but isn't sick, there is nothing for you to worry about. However, he can become sick easily, so if he does, you would obviously want to take extra precautions around the baby, etc. but it is not a reason to keep him away completely. A word of advice though, you shouldn't worry about this until you know for certain if he does have cancer, if he does end up needing treatment, and if he does get colds often, or get sick. I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself here. Just take one thing at a time.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 6:03 PM on Jun. 1, 2009

• Hospitals are very, very dangerous to the immunocompromised. I know from experience, my daughter died and was put on heart/lung bypass because she had a HAI (hospital aquired infection) while she was being born. I would worry about both a c-section, and a vaginal birth at a hospital. A home birth I would not be so worried about. Remember... If you breastfeed your child directly after birth you pass on antibodies to whatever bacteria or virus you might be exposed to so your baby is protected. Sometimes, however, at a hospital, if the membranes are ruptured or rupture themselves prematurely your baby can acquire an infection before they even emerge from your womb. I don't mean to scare you, but it happened to me, and I would hate for it to happen to any other woman. I would worry about your husband being at the hospital and being vulnerable to staff, that can be extremely life threatening.

lillys_mommy09

Answer by lillys_mommy09 at 8:34 PM on Jun. 1, 2009